Visible Galaxies

alt_f13

If you had a decent telescope and viewed from somewhere away from cities you could probably see a bunch of them. I went star gazing last week here in Miami with the Southern Cross Astronomy Society, and they had same very (very) nice telescopes to look through, I'd imagine in a non-city area one could definately see galaxies, but maybe not be able to differentiate them from stars without some better equipment.

Andromeda can be viewed (from non-light-polluted areas) with a pair of binoculars. I can see it from smack in the middle of the city with my 6" reflector scope. It just looks like a cotton ball though, because of the wretched light pollution. I've been out of town to some astronomy clubs, and its magnificant, even through a small scope.

• 2 weeks later...

That is sooooooo coooooool...where do you have these so called "astronomy clubs"...like what do they have inside them? Are there powerful telescopes and other instruments and charts and models on display or do we simply talk cosmos over a beer??

Quantum Defect said in post # :

OR

You could start your own astronomy club.

If you want a lot of astronomy on your biscuit, join o... hold on a second, something's wrong here. SOMETHING'S VERY WRONG.