Mock outrage

bascule

The only reason the New York Times made a correction, using an oversight statement, is they got caught. Let's use a little common sense. Obviously, this add was guarenteed to create controversary. This was calculated to sell newspapers, since people would want to see for themselves. But to buffer themselves, from being part of their own news-publicity creation scam, they worked out a deal. The deal was found out and they used the old scape goat in the newspaper trick. If the Democrats had been able to run with this, and turn the tide of public opinion, then they would have been able to handle this in a different way. These pin heads are out of touch with the mainstream, which is why subscription is down.

I am under the impression the Democrats have no leadership abilities. They are, though, the masters of gossip and soap opera. I am assuming there are counting on enough women and children to fall for this. I am not saying the Repulicans are perfect. But it is hard to function properly when one is surronded by a nagging political party that specializes in gossip. They have no sense of values, so they are not afraid to do what is needed. There should be an investigation into the NY Times to see the political connections. This won't happen since the Republicans don't want gossip, and Democrats are ready, with a new pile of mud, to make sure.

The lack of real political leadership is why this is a do nothing Congress. Good leadership is able to make the compromises needed to get things done. One can not expect all, or nothing at all, and then use gossip, to call the other person names, because they wouldn't give you the store. If there was a Democratic president, congress and senate, then they would try to ram rod through policy. This policy will not hold up to rational debate. The puppet masters need to pull all the strings, unchallenged. I get the impression the Democrats want a Monarchy of celebrity, with one party being the intellectual ruling class, for the rest of the naive riff-raff.

My advice to the Democrats is to raise their bar of standards. They have some good ideas, but are spending too much time entertaining. This is a good time to work out a mud slinging cease fire with the Republicans. They should also use this time as an opportunity to evolve their ideas, using constructive feedback of debate, so when it is closer to election, these ideas will be in advanced version 1.4 instead of 1.0.

There is nothing wrong with shifting ones mind, if it is due to progressing understanding. The Democrats may have coined this as, wishy washy, but it is smarter than bull-headed pride. The voters will know the difference at election. The naive riff-raff is a little more on the ball then the Democrats think. They will know the difference between a TV polititian and a leader.

I'm sorry, pioneer. What was that? I couldn't quite hear you. Your voice was a bit muffled by your colon.

In case you missed it the first time, this thread's topic regards the way the populace has reacted to the ad. Again, I hope this clarifies for you the issue we're all here discussing.

I'm sorry, pioneer. What was that? I couldn't quite hear you. Your voice was a bit muffled by your colon.
Borderline abuse, let's be careful here.
In case you missed it the first time, this thread's topic regards the way the populace has reacted to the ad. Again, I hope this clarifies for you the issue we're all here discussing.
I'm not much liking this new "topic nazi" approach you're taking lately, iNow. We have some leeway in an online forum and a bit of flexibility can reap big rewards. A little ramble can spark new thoughts in others.

You're not the world's police you know. Save that for the neo-cons, 'kay?. :D

I'm not much liking this new "topic nazi" approach you're taking lately, iNow. We have some leeway in an online forum and a bit of flexibility can reap big rewards. A little ramble can spark new thoughts in others.

Point taken. I think you'll find my comments of this nature are directed almost entirely toward pioneer. I've had experience trying to keep him in check on another forum where he posted, and my fuse with him is much shorter than it is with most. It's not my intent to be a topic nazi, but I will definitely assist with marching him to the gas chambers when I find it appropriate to do so. It just seems that I've done my part and should move on at this point. Where's that "Ignore" button again? ;)

I have no problem with that when people post long pseudoscientific rants in science-specific forums, especially when those rants are on a completely unrelated topic to the actual forum it's posted in. If someone goes into the quantum mechanics forum and asks how waveform collapse works, that's not your lead in to post your own totally contrived and unscientific conjectures. I really appreciate him doing that when the admins don't bother to prune the pseudoscience into the pseudoscience forum *hint* *hint*

The politics forum, not so much...

I think political discussions need to range a bit more than scientific discussions. If they didn't, people would be unable to respond when a thread focuses on a very narrow subject in order to make a subtle ideological point without allowing a larger context to be raised. I don't want people to feel overly restricted in their replies.

I do think it's only fair to allow the original poster mental bandwidth (for lack of a better term) to develop an environment of pertinent and substantive dialog, and I think all regular members should do our best to foster and support that environment. I think we all do a pretty good job of that, too -- most of the time, anyway. :)

Anyway, mods and admins do listen to all input and weigh it accordingly. The best place for such comments are either privately to one of the mods or admins, or in the Suggestions, Comments and Support discussion area.

I really appreciate him doing that when the admins don't bother to prune the pseudoscience into the pseudoscience forum *hint* *hint*
It's difficult to monitor. When someone spouts a bit of pseudoscience in the regular sub-fora we need to give others a chance to respond and set the record straight. If we prune too early we deny the poster the chance to see the error of his ways. We often mark threads meaning to come back and see where the discussion goes but then the world creeps in and takes time away from what's really important. ;)

And there is always that minuscule possibility that someone comes up with something that starts out as a Speculation and eventually gains some credibility. I agree though that we need to put our crackpot ass-kicking boots on a little quicker in most cases.

A new slant on Mock Outrage...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/01/reid.limbaugh/index.html?iref=newssearch

I've seen this guy misquoted so many times over the years, I don't even take them seriously anymore. This blown up mock outrage display is just a rehash of all the other misquotes I've witnessed, only intensified.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about "phony soldiers". Phony means fake. Fake soldiers. It's obvious he was talking about Jessie MacBeth and the 7 other phony soldiers that have lied and told ridiculous stories of slaughter by US troops. Even the caller uses the phrase "real soldiers". How funny. I can't believe so many people can make asses of themselves at one time - in unison.

Too bad Reid didn't follow through with the resolution to condemn him. I guess he realized 41 democrats doesn't get the votes to pass it.