Science Organization

blike

I've been tossing around the idea of starting a small organization or website to promote an early interest in science for kids ages 6-14. I just don't see as many kids interested in core sciences these days. When I was younger, I had a chemistry set, telescope, model rockets, gyroscopes, and all kinds of fascinating "science-type" toys. Most kids now days would rather play nintendo and browse the internet (ironic of course, being that the internet would be the main delivery format). Anyhow, I'm looking for ideas.

Obviously it would be a non-profit site. I'm thinking about an interactive site with tons of fun (safe) things to do and make, and simple experiments to do. Also with competitions and resource links for parents etc.

It's still just an idea right now, but it's something I'm interested in persuing. What do you all think?

I got every second friday off school for a while when I was around ten to do these science things. Had all kinds of fun. So I think the best thing to do is to pull a dozen kids out of school and send them off to a fruit bat infested island.

My little brother was part of a extra-cirricular science club last year.

I noticed that what really gets kids excited is the Chemistry experiments.

i remember the first time i saw vinegar poured onto baking soda

so cool

My mothers family are all teachers, my uncle was (until he retired) in the adminstration of schools and universitys (I'm not sure what really, he lectured and was the head examiner for A-Levels). He'd probably lend a plethora of material for science and education, if you want a starting point or ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Summer's almost here and I'll have a bit more time to work on this project. I need someone who is really good with color schemes. Also I need someone who is good with webpage layouts and/or graphics. I can fumble my way around photoshop, but I have no eye for artwork (as demonstrated by the sexy logo this site flies under).

I had a short run at designing some sort of preliminary header the other day [just for something to work with], but I wasn't really content with the results. The colors look sucky to me. Anyhow, PM me or email me if you're still willing to help when you can! I'll set up a private forum so we can all communicate.

sample.gif

I'll lend a hand with the math and a bit of physics (I daresay I should be able to handle that, heh).

And if you need some help with the website, I can give you a hand. I've got another 5 weeks, then I'm off for summer.