Career Advice!

smarty_pants

hey,I need some advice on career advice on what I woud like to do for the rest of my life.OK,my dilemma is that I would like to go to university/college for you american's and I would like to scientist.My problem is that I have two choices of what field I would like to choose from as I love agriculture and I also love medicene at the same time.I need some advice from you guys out their of what your opinion is about agriculture and medicene for a career choice.

i know,they are two completly different career paths

Are they really that dissimilar? All over the world there are plants that have amazing properties for use in healing various illnesses. America(and maybe Europe, I don't really know about them) likes to go the route of artificial drugs, but there may be a market for natural remedies. You could market vegans and such or you could even just do agricultural medicinal research. I don't see why you must separate them. Can you not pursue both options?

Smarty,

Major in biology (or similar, possible animal sciences or agriculture..??). The important thing is to sure that you do extra well in the premed weed out classes (gen chem, organic chem, animal and plant bio, genetics and molec bio, calc, etc) to keep your options open. Work in some different labs and volunteer in hospitals. You probably won't need to decide until the middle of your third year anyway (when you actaully apply to med schools). You'll know by then. Study like a dog but enjoy the ride.

There is a very small (but growing) field called nuetraceuticals. Although many people do not consider this a valid feild of study there are a few smaller colleges that offer this elective.

The American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine is the one I am most familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...

Or if you want a field that's a little more legitimate, there's always ethnobotany or medical anthropology (both disciplines of anthropology). Really look into an anthropology major. A lot of people don't think of it unless they want do forensics or Margaret Mead sorts of things but it's a really a very broad field. There are plenty of chances to fuse all sorts of diverse interests within an anthropological context.

• 3 weeks later...