psychological problems

quantam110

I'am studying psychological problems and could someone clarify if these problems are really problems because what if these problems are just altered or different realities and wouldn't these problems just be opinions because society chooses not to accept these differences,this is not an argument I would just like to know the answers to these questions,I would really apreciate any answers:confused:

I'am studying psychological problems and could someone clarify if these problems are really problems because what if these problems are just altered or different realities and wouldn't these problems just be opinions because society chooses not to accept these differences,this is not an argument I would just like to know the answers to these questions,I would really apreciate any answers:confused:

The standard American manual on psychological issues or problems cannot be applied to different cultures.

That being said issues like schizophrenia of course is a problem.

what do you mean by other cultures?

For instance how Arab family structure performs in Iraq, by the various definitions of psychological problems that can be labeled on individuals in America the entire family scheme in Iraq is mentally ill. On that note though the Oedipus complex is demonstrated by various primate offspring to some degree such as oral fixation. Its not black and white and psychology is an immensely complex field. Basically how do you emprically understand individual thought and problems?

Interesting question.

If a person is having problems with the society in which they live, then the problem is not really a psychological one. It might be one of social ideals or politics or religion, but not psychology. If that person moved to a different culture or society, the problem would go away (or at least be reduced).

If, due to an established pattern of thought, behaviour or emotion, the ability of a person to function adaptively in their daily lives was inhibited, then you have a psychological problem. Moving to a different culture or society would not solve this problem.

In short, the basic features of a psychopathology are universal and would be a problem to an individual whether they were in Iraq, Australia, Britain, Japan, America (you get the idea).

The normal differences that exist between people can lead to problems. If one was the only studeous person among a group of athletes, or vice versa, one is not able to fully adapt in that environment, in a way that also allow them to fully use their own natural abilities. It may require insulating oneself from that environment. But doing that is considered a problem. This problem may be treated to help the person better adapt. But since they can never be the best they can be, then there is the continuing problem of being an under achieiver in that environment. So we then treat this under achiever problem with motivational therapies. But still the person can not get as good as those who are more naturally inclined and suited to that environment. So now we have extra schooling and training to make them better at the norm.

But even after all of that, one is still second string and begins to feel depressed. So you go back to therapy to deal with the depression. They offer you drugs but this creates conflict. Culture is so against drugs, yet it is so willing to give you drugs for anything and everything. So you stick with therapy and find out the depression is due to not being true to yourself. So you find your own niche, but due to the environment, might require you sort of insulate yourself a litle more, so you can come into your own. Now you are back to step one, needing therapy to deal with isolation, since this is considered a problem by another specialty group.

Culture sort of sets the standards of optimized behavior. If you so happen to be naturally inclined along these lines, adaptation is very easy. If your personal inclinations and abilities don't line up properly, one has problems. People try to find birds of a feather, so they are in an environment which allows their natural inclinations to be the norm. But if this group is not the norm, then the entire group has a social problem. Often social tensions is between groups, each trying to the create an environment that is better suited to them. But each environment puts another group at a disadvantage, so they fight to keep things easier. I suppose the compromise is where everyone is a little messed up ,but no one group is singled out so it can to be fully messed up, for all.

In other words, the distribution of innate abilities, requires that to build up one group, we need to have a social scape goat to dump the crap on. They are sort of the reflection of innate ability, being opposites. For example, the large number of addicts is a reflection of another group that is being propped up, by their creating a lopsided environment that is more suited to their natural inclinations. Nags need punching bags. Without punching bags the nags get depressed.

The best example was the monarchy. To sustain the 1% they needed 99% percent peasants. Or 99% repression was needed for 1% ego inflation.

There are only three posters in this thread, and already it's clear that each are discussing different types of problems, but still classing them all under the umbrella of "psychology."

So, let's agree on something before moving forward. Since YOU asked the question, I think it's imperative that YOU help define the word "problem." This way, we won't have a bunch of uninformed ad hoc opinions that rest in speculation and nonsense. :D

A) Disorders as defined by the multi-axial classing system of the DSM-IV

http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1

B) All other speculations about culture specific or learned behaviors, most of which can also already be captured by the DSM-IV

;)

The definitions of disorders covers a rather large area, with each basic disorder having a wide range of sub-sets to that disorder group. It almost looks like we need to include another disorder called, research disorder. This can defined as the obsessive need to split category hairs.

Who sets the standards with respect to what is considered normal without any form of disorder? What is considered perfection without disorder? Those who conduct such knit picking studies must include themselves as being up there with respect to those who are considered without disorder.

The social affects can not be eliminated that easy. For example, eating disorders is more common to females than to males. Males tend to prefer drinking disorders. One can see how, with culture putting a lot of stress on female beauty, this can create problems for some females trying to fit in. Psychology comes in, after the damage is done, and then tries to help. By then one basic cause begins to distribute into a variety of affects. Then each is treated as though it is totally unique with its own classification. Whether the girl purges with the left or right hand becomes two disorders.

The underlying reason for this research disorder is due to specialization. Anthing that is slightly different gets a new classification. One can no longer see it in the context of a bigger picture, but only in the context of tiny differences that appear to make it unique. If a gumball machine has eight colors, each gumball is no longer view as just gumballs of different colors, but now each color is now a unique entity. The color, is now what makes these distinct and special. To treat this research disorder, we need to dip the gumballs in water to remove the color vaneer, so everyone can see they are dealing with 95%, the same thing. Once you know the common thing, then one can treat disorders in wholesale fashion, instead of depend on labor intensive retail fashion.

Pioneer, your post is spoken as if by someone who has never once performed psychology research in a clinical setting nor bothered looking to see the criteria put in place by the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. It must be nice to have an inaccurate oversimplification of systems due to speculation grounded in false premises disorder like you. :rolleyes: