What is a typical workload for a general surgeon after residency?

peterondiet

Hi if there are any M.D.'s out there or told individuals, I am just if anyone could tell me how many hours general surgeons or even specialized surgeons work in an average week? I'm curious because I am interested in this area of medicine, but at the same time I want to have time for other interest in my life. I am just wondering if this is possible. Is it rare to find a surgeon who works a 40-hour week?

Thanks for your help!

Hi if there are any M.D.'s out there or told individuals, I am just if anyone could tell me how many hours general surgeons or even specialized surgeons work in an average week? I'm curious because I am interested in this area of medicine, but at the same time I want to have time for other interest in my life. I am just wondering if this is possible. Is it rare to find a surgeon who works a 40-hour week?

Thanks for your help!

give me a suggestion.

Is it rare to find a surgeon who works a 40-hour week?

Well, I am not in this field, but I do know that surgery is an incredibly competive form of medicine, where a 40 hour week is probably achieved by mid-afternoon on a Tuesday. So, I'd say yes, this is incredibly rare. Again, I am not in the field, but I'd suggest one plan on 70 to 80 weeks at minimum.

Then, once you're there, just like on Grey's Anatomy, you sleep with the cute girl in the cot near the broom closet and then wake up to perform open heart surgery in the elevator with a Swiss Army knife. It's amazing how real it is. ;)

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have limited use of my right hand following two open-heart surgeries. Need answer?

I cannot make a fist with my right hand; I have numbness and paining my fingers. My left hand is similar.

I had two open-heart surgeries last year. The problem was on my right hand before the surgery, but has worsened. Does anyone know what causes this and what can be done about it? A Heart surgeons, plastic surgeon, cardiologist, GP, PA and physical therapist all had the same answer. Looking for a better answer than “Hm-m-m”

Oh. Sorry about your issues post op.

Did you have pain and numbness in hand before surgery?

It sounds like you are speculating about what might have happened and I sympathize with you. Have you spoken with a malpractise lawyer yet? They can tell you more and they will usually do it for free (first consultation). They may also send you to an unbiased Dr for evaluation.

There are time limitations for malpractise in most states. Some time limits are unbelievably short (like 2 yrs, maybe even less in some states?).

There is a blog on webmd that may be of use to you. Perhaps you can find some assistance from others that may have similar experience after open heart surg.

http://www.webmd.com/

I have limited use of my right hand following two open-heart surgeries. Need answer?

I cannot make a fist with my right hand; I have numbness and paining my fingers. My left hand is similar.

I had two open-heart surgeries last year. The problem was on my right hand before the surgery, but has worsened. Does anyone know what causes this and what can be done about it? A Heart surgeons, plastic surgeon, cardiologist, GP, PA and physical therapist all had the same answer. Looking for a better answer than “Hm-m-m”

You need to talk to a neurologist...

Not a malpractice lawyer :rolleyes:...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

hello...................all

the overall demand for healthcare continues to rise, one might not be surprised that the need for General Surgeons continues to increase as well. However, the number of General Surgeons is declining which may affect healthcare negatively. For instance, not having enough General Surgeons can increase waiting lists significantly causing patients to wait for non-emergency procedures. The factors influencing the need for more General Surgeons include population increases and aging, lowered resident interest in General Surgery and the advancement of technologies.............................thanks