irrigation system

stormwarrior

OK I am here for ideas to elaborate a system to irragate 6 acres of ground using solar energy and a generator to jump start the system.

Let me set up the idea here.

300 feet pumped uphill from a water well then 1000 feet to the edge of the property and downhill about 600 feet into pond, overflow going into a creek

300 feet is pumped straight without a break in the line

at the turn going across the hill about every 100 feet I will have a drip system that is on/off so that I can water that section using gravity to drain the water back to the pond and/or creek

Now to the area that I want to utilyze to produce some electric feedback to charge a bank of marine batteries say 10 marine batteries. Perhaps using gravity and turbines inside a length of pipe on the downside of the slope heading to the pond.

The question is could I generate enough electricity to run a pump to siphon water back to the top of the hill using this system or would I need a constant energy source to maintain the system?

okay, coupla points.

1/ what is the flowrate of the drip valves

2/ what is the diameter of the pipe

3/ why don't you have the drip valves on the first pipe, it would save you having to pump the water back up from the pond. there should be enough pressure difference to do this and siphon the water to the pond. although, that depends on what sort of flowrates you want.

3) Im actually planning on hooking into the drip valves with both lines alternating

back and forth pump from the storage tank and pump from the pond.

2) 4 inch piping is what I plan on using for this and I am also considering putting 2 sprinkler heads on the ends that I can turn on and off like the drip lines

1) Flowrate for the drip valves im not sure really........I havent figured out what would be acceptable what range would I be looking at? I would assume the drip system will be flex pvc 1 inch and about 50-100 foot section with holes running ever 5 feet on each side

The valves will be able to be turned completely off and bypassed so that I can irragate each section individually.

we will label those

1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10

1 and 6

2 and 7

3 and 8

4 and 9

5 and 10

there will only be 5 drip lines but two entry points one from the pond one from the storage tank.

The reason for this system to be alternating is because 5000 gallon tanks dont last long for water irragation and having to fill that tank up from the well takes along time 4-5 days generally with intermediate stops due to water pressure being so low.

Yes Im in a low water area and trying to maintain a pond and irrigation utilyzing every possible resource just to keep the place green.

wait hang on, i was checking your diagram again to do some calculations and i noticed something i missed before. how in hell will you manage to siphon water UP 300ft? you'll get 30ft if you create a complete vacuu in the pipe above. you'll need a pump capable of at LEAST 10 barg to get flow. although, for practical purposes you'll probably need something like 15barg.

for getting it up 600ft you'll need at least 20barg at the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...