Question Regarding the Mind Stimulating the Nervous System

I'm not well-informed on Neuroscience and wouldn't know where to start, so for any individual(s) that can address this question properly, I'd much appreciate it.

Basically, this is something I can recreate at any time, and anywhere. I intensely focus my attention on the top-back portion of my brain, and then I feel something build up there, which suddenly in a burst sends tingles throughout my body, originating from that portion of the brain. I can even get my hairs to stand up on my skin in some occasions, so this is not all in my imagination--I literally feel certain parts of me vibrate within, which is stimulation of the nervous system, I believe. I also can control where the tingles occur in my body at times, too, and it feels like a rush of soft electric vibes moving throughout me when I do so. The primary path of vibrations is usually up and down my spine, though, at rapid rates. But if I do this a lot in one session, the intensity may become diminished over each proceeding trial.

Can Neuroscience explain this? I mean, maybe there is something about that portion of the brain that I'm not aware of? I really couldn't say, so that's why I'm asking. Also, If I wasn't looking for a scientific answer, I wouldn't post it here. So please, no mocking.

wow! i wish i knew how to do that!

upper back portion of brain you say? i'll try it.

well, sorry, but i have no idea why it happens like that.

i can concentrate on my entire upper brain and make it feel as though i am about to fall asleep, but i can't fall asleep like that. often times i wonder if this has something to do with pressure being put on my eyeballs as i am concentrating on that part. i noticed that when i concentrate on that part i subconsciously squeeze my eyeballs, and that it doesn't work if i try to not squeeze my eyebals. but this isn't the same as a vibration being sent throughout the body.

I'm not sure if I explained the process correctly, though. I just know that I feel it in the top-back portion of the brain and running up and down the spine. Sometimes it feels as though I need to direct something (mentally) near my spine towards the brain in order for the reaction to happen. It's quite confusing, to be honest. I can recreate other sensations throughout my body in different ways (also induced mentally), but I'll just focus on this one for this post. Maybe I'll do some of my own research meanwhile. I just don't really know where to start is all.

try and see if it effects the temperature of the area you concentrate on, maybe you could try galvanic skin resistance, see if that has any effect also.

I can do a similar thing that you`ve described also (I don`t do the back of brain bit though).

all you`ll need is a little electric multimeter on the resistance setting (the 200k Ohms) should be fine, then make yourself some rings to go over your fingers (make sure both metals are the same) and attatch the wires, keeping still allow the reading to settle for about 5 minutes, note the number, then try your concentration thing, see if that makes any significant change, 50 K Ohms or more.

Have Phun :)

That would make for an interesting experiment, thanks. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it would explain much as the experiment is a biofeedback thing. One can effect the reading by inducing different emotional states in themselves. I don't know how relevant it is to my experience, which I'm still lost as to what it means, or the explanation. But thanks for the details, because I might just try it for fun if I can get my hands on one of those things.

maybe its a created sensation in your brain or maybe your actulally doing it which means you can sort of control your nerves...like twitching an ear or a manbreast.

Look for this book in a unversity near by

Eric Kandel...i think its called Neuroscience but search for the author...its "gods" gift to neuroscience students

Thank you. I did some quick research on the web about him and his book, and it looks like a valuable read regarding introductory Neuroscience.

Even though I intended to find a direct answer regarding my above experience(s), I'm doing research about this on my own as well, so this seems helpful.

• 5 months later...

Not yet, but given enough time I think that humanity will develop a Unified Theory of Consciousness and Brain-based control.

It may take a cross-disciplinary program that incorporates Quantum Physics, Neurophysics, Mathematical Psychology and Molecular Biology to yield such a field of study.

Nevertheless once this is accomplished then we will be able to understand the mind/brain ability to generate interesting phenomena.

Then we will know what you are going through and why your mind-body control can create such actions.

Until then were left in the dark. But the anwers are on the way.

Guest devance

I like to throw out ideas as a conversation starter, so this might not be applicable.

Brain waves are based on the slow 1 second rise and fall of the earths magnetic field. 1 to 3 waves per second brainwave is sleep, 4 to7 normal awake, 8 to 11 is very alert. So thas one way to influence ones brain.

As far as concentrating/spatial feeling of a specific section of the brain I know that the brain stem can generate endorphins which have a warm, euphoric, feel when concentrated on..

But it definitely sounds like a two body imaging/use sections of the brain you are talking about as a guess. Two ajacent sections of the brain imaging two different parts of the body cross communicating might be the answer. I saw a recent program on PBS about neurology mentioning phantom limb sensation that explains this clearly and the transcript is at the PBS website.