What Terms do You Think in?

YT2095

How do thoughts represent themselves to you?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How do thoughts represent themselves to you?

• Pictures/images
    • Words/spoken
    • Feelings/emotions
    • Other (please explain)
    • I don`t understand (read some replies first then decide)

i pretty much always think in pictures

words are right out since i can't read or write

emotions? Don't have 'em (i am a emeotionally challanged male after all)

so that pretty much leaves pictures -- unless you count the magic 8 ball... Oh magic 8 ball, you are never wrong!

i have a semi-photographic memory. i can remember pictures very easily, and i can remember the answers to yes or no questions very easily (and answer the multiple choice/yes or no questions easily). i have a hard time memorizing a list of words, but an easy time memorizing the emotions that each word represents. so i chose other for pictures/images and feelings/emotions. and i think underlying the pictures is emotions, since i can't remember details of pictures, just the big picture and the emotions (assuming there are emotions that are unnamed and not commonly known or understood), from which i can accurately guess the details.

I don't think I use words for the simple reason that I always have to do a 'translation' when I want to explain something.

Maybe I think in action-reaction events with timing tags.

and the way it is stored depends on the source of the data.

I find the "all of the above" answers interesting, I was under the impression that most people had a dominant sense.

I think mostly in terms of pictures and like timelapse simulations of events, similar to kedas.

I stuggle with words when trying to explain my meaning alot of the time, and if I try to remember a word I actualy see it writen mentals and I read it as if it were from a book, not sure if that`s the same as photographic mem though?

pictures and feelings are my most common used :)

I don't think specifically having a hard time finding words means you do not think in words, especially if we're talking about a dominant style. When I can not find words is usually because have not identified what's going on, more often a matter of feeling an emotion but not being able to identify it or the cause.

But am not sure what you mean by thinking in emotions. I don't count simply feeling an emotion the same as thinking style.

YT2095 said in post # :

I find the "all of the above" answers interesting, I was under the impression that most people had a dominant sense.

They do (generally), but dominance doesn't mean 'used to the exclusion of all others'. It means it tends to be used more frequently or more effectively. It's a bit like hand dominance. Right handed people use both hands, as do left handed people. They just use their dominant hand more often, particularly for fine motor tasks. That kind of lateral dominance is a continuum, from one side dominant to the other side dominant. You can be left side dominant, right side dominant, and (importantly) any point inbetween, including having no dominant side. The same applies to senses.  Some are, for example, visually oriented, some aurally, but sensory dominance are continua the same as lateral dominance.

I talk to myself in my head, and if I require pictures, then I have pictures to go with the speech. I don't see any words, I just hear them, or rather I hear them without the use of my ears. I can do things with the pictures, like I can rotate them, I can change their colours, I can change their contrast, they are 3D, but they are misty images, broken up in places. Bad jpeg compression.

Pincho.

sometimes in peoples sentences or or wording when they speak you can get tiny little glimpses of their thinking terms IE/

I SEE your point

I HEAR what your saying

that ADDS up

I FEEL the same way

etc...

now, I`m NOT saying it`s an exact or prescise science at all (after all it`s the mind were dealing with) but it`s sure interesting to see and notice these differences and they`re not all learned behaviors, it`s perfectly by choice that we select such wordings.

I really hope this doesn`t get anyone paranoid and analyising every word they type or say, although I`m sure a fair few will give it probably more than a few thoughts above that which is healthy :)

I use all those phrases, they're just idioms, but think in words.

I don't see any reason use of a given phrase should indicate thinking style here, or perceptual style for that matter.

I have very poor visualization skills, just generally speaking, but probably use the "I see" phrase most often.

If referring to memory as Fafalone did, for me is more an abstract narrative, essentially without images, certainly no strong ones, and rarely has much if any emotional content, only a few incidents break that barrier

I have heard that the ability to visualize is a plus for abstract fields, way I look at it is it basically makes them non-abstract, not sure if that's a valid way of framing it though. And believe was Pinker mentioned that our abstract references are based on sensory analogies, using the example of time

And am still entirely unsure what you mean by thinking in emotions.