Miss Teen South Carolina

blike

because it asserts stupidity to a race when it is well known that the difference in intelligence between races is minimal if it exists at all.
Actually there really are statistical differences between races, and as a matter of fact between sexes as well. A lot of the differences in races are socially created verses it actually being caused by genetics, while gender differences are mostly genetic. We studied this in sociology some. Jews are the smartest out of everyone but I don't remember the rest.

As for the sexes, on many levels females are actually "smarter" than men. Specifically they have a better memory. Males are better at spacial-orientation, math, and reasoning. There's more to it than that but I don't have my psychology book here to look it up. I found it amusing though that gays and lesbians fall in the middle between average mental abilities of men and women. Men have larger brains though, and this is true even when you take the ratios of brain mass verses body mass.

Actually there really are statistical differences between races, and as a matter of fact between sexes as well. A lot of the differences in races are socially created verses it actually being caused by genetics, while gender differences are mostly genetic. We studied this in sociology some. Jews are the smartest out of everyone but I don't remember the rest.

There are, but it depends on the sample. The main problems with intelligence tests is that:

1) Cultural based.

2) Its easy to design a test that favors a particular group.

3) The older a person is, the less valid the tests are.

4) Different environments affect the test outcome.

As for genetics, its not clear which genes are responsible, but there are indications that a large number of genes and a significant percentage (some estimates are as high as 40%) of the human genome is a determining factor for intelligence. DNA differences between both sexes and races are, if I remember correctly, less than 1%. The difference between the male and female is the y-chromosome.

Men have larger brains though, and this is true even when you take the ratios of brain mass verses body mass.

They differ by about 200 grams. Even though the male brain is larger, the female brain has more densely packed neurons. The actual difference between the two in terms of intelligence, or even types for that matter, is mostly insignificant. What is significant however is that there are many more males that score in both the extreme highs and the extreme lows then females.

There are, but it depends on the sample. The main problems with intelligence tests is that:

1) Cultural based.

2) Its easy to design a test that favors a particular group.

3) The older a person is, the less valid the tests are.

4) Different environments affect the test outcome.

As for genetics, its not clear which genes are responsible, but there are indications that a large number of genes and a significant percentage (some estimates are as high as 40%) of the human genome is a determining factor for intelligence. DNA differences between both sexes and races are, if I remember correctly, less than 1%. The difference between the male and female is the y-chromosome.

Actually intelligence is almost completely genetic. The reason I said some of the intelligence difference between races is socially created is because intelligence can on the outside be effect by social conditioning and schooling. The case where people say someone is smart they just don't care, or don't apply themselves for instance. They may be just as smart on the inside per say but don't display it as well or where never schooled (yes education does actually effect intelligence tests).
They differ by about 200 grams. Even though the male brain is larger, the female brain has more densely packed neurons. The actual difference between the two in terms of intelligence, or even types for that matter, is mostly insignificant. What is significant however is that there are many more males that score in both the extreme highs and the extreme lows then females.
Men actually have more neurons. I read it in a book, The Essential Difference: the truth about the male and female brain. I cant remember how many but it was something like 4 billion neurons or 16% more than women. When I looked it up they were saying scientists didn't know what men were doing with all the extra neurons.

edit -- This is the study,

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/44857/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

And a little news story about it,

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n33_v13/ai_19734100

They measured only the cortex, not the entire brain.

the main problem with this discussion is that it leads in an endless routine of self delusion and indulgence. It is not acceptable to bully other people and make fun of other people. Remember there is this thing we call karma and what goes around comes around. No I dont think this person made alot of sense but I am sure you fouled up a time or two in your life and others around you laughed or jeered at you. Sometimes people screw up. Welcome to being a human and not perfect.

Classing people is arrogant and in an extreme form the nazi party classed jews as being sub human, the Christains classed native americans as being subhuman the egyptians classed hebrews as being subhuman. These all lead to war. Some overcame some were destroyed but never was anything good brought into play especially when the class system fell.

Why not leave this girl alone. Stop wasting time on her fault and worry about your own.

It is not acceptable to bully other people and make fun of other people.

She's not being bullied and it's quite acceptable to make fun of other people. How do you think Jay Leno and David Letterman pay the bills?

Remember there is this thing we call karma and what goes around comes around.

And this time it's her turn. Why should she get a free pass from karma? Maybe she laughed at a stupid girl once...

No I dont think this person made alot of sense but I am sure you fouled up a time or two in your life and others around you laughed or jeered at you. Sometimes people screw up. Welcome to being a human and not perfect.

Yes they laughed and jeered and it hurt my feelings. Now I'm a grown man and know how to put things in perspective. How about you?

Humans not being perfect provide about all of the humor on the planet...

Classing people is arrogant and in an extreme form the nazi party classed jews as being sub human, the Christains classed native americans as being subhuman the egyptians classed hebrews as being subhuman. These all lead to war. Some overcame some were destroyed but never was anything good brought into play especially when the class system fell.

She's not being classed, or dehumanized. We're just laughing at her dude. It was funny. Did you not see the video?

Why not leave this girl alone. Stop wasting time on her fault and worry about your own.

Man, the little time I spend laughing at her fault is but a brief interuption in worrying about mine. Trust me. That's why most of us aren't ball bagging about poking a little fun, because if this is a problem, it's an easy one compared to the crap life dishes out on people. Spend a day downtown with the homeless and listen to their life stories. Ask some elderly folks about their life struggles.

Ms teenie I'm-so-pretty USA is doing just fine stormwarrior. I'm sure she's taken it quite well and probably laughed herself at this point.

the main problem with this discussion is that it leads in an endless routine of self delusion and indulgence. It is not acceptable to bully other people and make fun of other people. Remember there is this thing we call karma and what goes around comes around. No I dont think this person made alot of sense but I am sure you fouled up a time or two in your life and others around you laughed or jeered at you. Sometimes people screw up. Welcome to being a human and not perfect.

Wahoo no thread is complete without a reference to the nazi's. Good job stormwarrior it must be a great talent to notice how everything can somehow be reduced to the nazis! Hitler would have been proud of you.

Stormwarrior, you need to calm down. If you don't like this thread, then post elsewhere. It's just a youtube video.

Everyone at one point or another has been laughed at for being stupid or behaving in a rather unintelligent manner, and sooner or they all recover from it and get on with life (well, except the ones who get a Darwin Award >:D).

Instead of pissing all over the room, why don't you respond to my points? After all I'm stupid right? So you should have no problem with it. If you can't respond point by point and prove yourself, then that implies I'm smarter than you - you wouldn't want that right? So, put on your intellectual hat and prove my points wrong.

You must be stupid if you believe everything you just said in your post.

To make entertainment from anothers misfortune is not acceptable.

Apparently it is acceptable for David Letterman' date=' Jay Leno, Carlos Mencia, Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert...the list goes on and on.

You need to deal with this, because your statement is quite bold and implies these people shouldn't be on TV. They make their living making fun of people. People who put themselves in the lime light and opened themselves for criticism.

Your a grown man? You sound like a 12 year old without moral aptitude, did your mother put you on ridilin or prozac?

This is a childish statement confirming your teenage angst. Rather hypocritical I might add.

I see through your machoism and understand that you indeed must be poorly endowed because you insist on picking on a little girl to get your kicks.

Your mother must be proud.

Poking a little fun huh? well ' date=' when you hurt someone intentionally you become morally responsible for that persons actions.[/quote']

More childish drivel that sounds like it originated in an elementary mind not capable of processing complex thoughts and ideas.

How is the girl being picked on? We're in a forum making fun of someone we don't know and without her being anywhere around. Again, comedians do this everyday so you must be busy typing letters about their machoism and poor endowment.

I think that your inexperience with the human gender of females is quite evident. Lemme guess your 40 years old living in your moms basement, havent had a date in 20 years, smoke pot and will likely die from inhalation of your own methane gas because obviously your not bright enough to open a window and air your stench out once in awhile.

Try again. I'm 36, married with two beautiful children - and we all laughed at miss teenie i'm-so-pretty usa...

Hows that feel being bullied? Being dehumanized? Being insulted?

Not sucha good feeling is it.

Oh' date=' is [i']that[/i] what that was?

Oh wait a minute I forgot one thing your probably mad and going to post a rant to defend your own humanistic qualities.

Tempting isnt it...Go ahead post a response... come on sparky you can do it...

Sparky? The only thing you missed is the "make my day" at the end of it' date=' that would have sealed it. I would a' been shakin' in my shoes. Sorry, I'll try to be mad next time, but it takes a respectable opponent to do that, and so far all you've done is repeat teenage crybaby garbage.

The only problem I see is that indeed people get into a ...its ok to do it she deserves it lynch mob mentality.

Oh my, lookie here - an argument. Finally. Well, you'd be right if we were talking about a confrontational bullying routine. Similar to persistant picking and bullying of certain kids in school. Confrontational assaults, verbal or otherwise, can be abusive depending on the context. Some kid in school gets labeled "the weird kid" or something and everybody seems to fall for that lynch mob mentallity and pick on him which basically ruins a big portion of his life.

But that's apples, and this is oranges. We're not picking on her or bullying her - we're laughing at a mistake she made. All of us get laughed at, and no one gets out of it - not you, not me, and not miss teenie usa.

I think the bottom line is you're taking things way too seriously. You're equating laughing at miss teenie usa with columbine style bullying. She's not tied to a post in town square where we're all laughing, jeering and throwing tomatoes. She's a person on TV who did something stupid and we're having fun with it.

What you're doing is overcompensating with pity. Many times that's your conscience speaking.

Lemme guess your 40 years old living in your moms basement, havent had a date in 20 years, smoke pot and will likely die from inhalation of your own methane gas because obviously your not bright enough to open a window and air your stench out once in awhile.
Dude, you shouldn't make fun of people if you suck at it.

Godwin's Law, people.

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

The forums here could be a good test for that probability. According to the forum index there are 26,163 threads or discussions at the forums here. In how many of those threads did Godwin's Law prove true? How many of the threads that are longer than this one have not had such a comparison?

It's nice to know there's a place I can go where something this goofy can get so ridiculously blown out of proportion.

Hello Rhino,

It appears that you have not posted on Science Forums for over a month. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help another member or just participate in one of our many discussions?

Well, I was asked.