Miss Teen South Carolina

blike

On the other hand you might just not bother to make comments like that about a perfectly reasonable viewpoint.

Well, that is very noble of you - sticking up for the girl, like a knight in shining armour! Do I detect a pattern in your affections? After all Bettina and Miss Teen South Carolina do share certain similarities...

It is easy to understand why people pretend to be female on the internet. Chivalrous nerds will stand up for you no matter how unreasonable you're being. Kind makes you resent how much easier attractive women have it in real life...

Where is this thread going?

Well, lets see...

Severian tells me I'm not welcome here and wants me to leave SFN but I intend to return to my lurking mode until he gets me banned. I heard he always had trouble with women.

Sisyphus wants me to prove to him that I'm a girl and now my dad is ticked off and wants to know who he is.

1veedo wants to know why I was defending a 17 year old girl being trashed on a "Science" forum.

So, IMO, I think the trash is where this thread should go.... where Severian and his arrogant others live.

Bettina....

oh seriously the poor girl, does anyone not feel sorry for her?

I too must stand up for her because firstly no one here knows her and secondly it must take alot of courage to be infront of so many people and answer a question when she has no idea what the answer is.

That does not make her stupid, it makes her normal. Getting nervous and stuttering infront of alot of people in generally a normal thing to do.

And then the people bagging out the way she looks? I think shes gorgeous and anyway how is that at all related to her stuffing up the question?

Look whoes being irrevelant now. Cheers.

She has served as a target for the unfocussed frustration and disappointment in the populace. For good reason, great percentages of people are disgusted with how education and knowledge in our society seems so lacking. The focus seems entirely on instant gratification and physical beauty, social bling and political fling.

This girl from South Carolina is not the source of the problem, she is a symptom of it, and she is not worthy of continued attack, but a better role model.

Treat the cause, not the symptom.

She has served as a target for the unfocussed frustration and disappointment in the populace. For good reason, great percentages of people are disgusted with how education and knowledge in our society seems so lacking. The focus seems entirely on instant gratification and physical beauty, social bling and political fling.

This girl from South Carolina is not the source of the problem, she is a symptom of it, and she is not worthy of continued attack, but a better role model.

Treat the cause, not the symptom.

Now if Miss South Carolina had said that, she would have won outright :)

Severian tells me I'm not welcome here and wants me to leave SFN but I intend to return to my lurking mode until he gets me banned.

I told you no such thing. I suggested that you might be happier elsewhere since you so clearly dislike everyone else that posts here.

And I can't get you banned (I have no special status here). You will have to do that yourself.

Well, lets see...

Severian tells me I'm not welcome here and wants me to leave SFN but I intend to return to my lurking mode until he gets me banned. I heard he always had trouble with women.

Sisyphus wants me to prove to him that I'm a girl and now my dad is ticked off and wants to know who he is.

1veedo wants to know why I was defending a 17 year old girl being trashed on a "Science" forum.

So, IMO, I think the trash is where this thread should go.... where Severian and his arrogant others live.

Bettina....

Sisyphus, you naughty boy you...

Bettina - why are you taking it so seriously? Why is anyone taking it seriously? Look, I make fun of cripples, fat people, ugly people, gay people, black people, white people, stupid people and smart people and any other class of people and you know what? All of them are still just fine. Nothing bad happened to them. No one was hurt. And I'm happier now that I got a laugh.

She was stupid on stage and it's funny to laugh at her. Big deal. Maybe if we quit being all sensitive all the time, life might actually be enjoyable again...

I tend to side with Bettina here, especially regarding Severian. Since the demise of the religion thread, the poor chap seems to have lost his spleen-venting safetyvalve. Ignore him and deny him the oxygen of publicity and he might fade away.

P.S., I tried to start a thread in inorganic chemistry recently, no replies, so I am feeling a bit bilious myself. You know who you are....

I make fun of cripples, fat people, ugly people, gay people, black people, white people, stupid people and smart people

Considering Paranoia is 'all' of the above, this makes it perfectly acceptable :D

I tend to side with Bettina here, especially regarding Severian. Since the demise of the religion thread, the poor chap seems to have lost his spleen-venting safetyvalve. Ignore him and deny him the oxygen of publicity and he might fade away.

I know, lets all sit around and have a go at 'each other', that's a good idea :rolleyes:

The only person I feel sorry for is Blike, for wondering what the hell he's started. I agree with Paranoia...lighten up Bettina, we're not that bad, honest :)

Considering Paranoia is 'all' of the above, this makes it perfectly acceptable

Exactly! Err...wait a minute....

It's just sticks and stones....

besides I have no sympathy for airheads.

Well I do. Because stupid people don't know they're stupid. Also' date=' very rarely is it their fault. Which is what makes it all the more fun to poke at them - they don't even [i']deserve[/i] it, ain't that a gas?

Well I do. Because stupid people don't know they're stupid. Also, very rarely is it their fault. Which is what makes it all the more fun to poke at them - they don't even deserve it, ain't that a gas?

It's one thing to not know anything, but stupidity really isn't based on how much one knows. The person who admits he/she doesn't know anything is much smarter than the person who thinks he/she does.

By that logic, it is someone's fault that they are stupid (even if they don't know it or won't admit that they are indeed stupid), and therefore they deserve no sympathy.

So yeah, I'm that kind of person. I laugh at everyone who has a Darwin award, I get a kick out of watching people getting into trouble because of their own stupid actions, I sneer at people who behave rather unintelligently, I love to watch and laugh at people on youtube getting owned all the time, etc.

I, for one, fully support Blike. It is a very good and very funny thread.

It's one thing to not know anything' date=' but stupidity really isn't based on how much one knows. The person who admits he/she doesn't know anything is much smarter than the person who thinks he/she does.

By that logic, it is someone's fault that they are stupid (even if they don't know it or won't admit that they are indeed stupid), and therefore they deserve no sympathy. [/quote']

Not sure I'm following you here. Seems to me, knowledge is irrelevant to intelligence, to a certain extent. Obviously if you're not smart enough to understand, say Algebra, then you're not going to retain any knowledge of Algebra.

But, for the most part, knowledge is earned. So if you're too lazy to go learn some stuff in life, then yeah, you earned your stupidity and you get no sympathy from me.

But, if you're just not very intelligent, that's not your fault. You're born with that noggin. And people who aren't very intelligent aren't likely to understand the value of knowledge in order to motivate themselves and so on and so on - a chain reaction contributing to their overall stupidity. These people get my sympathy.

However, all of them get laughed at by me...

I, for one, fully support Blike. It is a very good and very funny thread.

I really loved the tub map. And this:

Is that on a US America map? If not, I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, should have maps US America maps to build up our future for our children.

Bettina - why are you taking it so seriously? Why is anyone taking it seriously? Look' date=' I make fun of cripples, fat people, ugly people, gay people, black people, white people, stupid people and smart people and any other class of people and you know what? All of them are still just fine. Nothing bad happened to them. No one was hurt. And I'm happier now that I got a laugh.

She was stupid on stage and it's funny to laugh at her. Big deal. Maybe if we quit being all sensitive all the time, life might actually be enjoyable again...[/quote']This.

Now what's the difference in saying that and saying "pretty smart for a black person"? Well obviously she's not black, but you get my point.

The difference is that "pretty smart for a black person" is a racist remark, because it asserts stupidity to a race when it is well known that the difference in intelligence between races is minimal if it exists at all. However, my statement was one about relevant environmental factors, grouping people whom were educated in the same objectively horrible school systems. Not to mention my vast experience with the people here. All you have to do to see that I am right is drive here for an hour.

If I were to say "She's pretty non-religious for someone from SC", would you wonder the difference between that and "She's pretty non-religious for a black person"?

The difference is that "pretty smart for a black person" is a racist remark, because it asserts stupidity to a race when it is well known that the difference in intelligence between races is minimal if it exists at all. However, my statement was one about relevant environmental factors, grouping people whom were educated in the same objectively horrible school systems.[/Quote]

Education in a lot black high schools is pretty "objectively horrible." I'm a product of school system more "objectively horrible" than South Carlina's I think I could be smart enough to give a sensible answer to a question in a beauty pageant. Not that I would ever be a beauty pageant, but that's not the point.

Not to mention my vast experience with the people here. All you have to do to see that I am right is drive here for an hour.

I've known a bunch of Mexicans and none of them were very smart. :rolleyes:

If I were to say "She's pretty non-religious for someone from SC", would you wonder the difference between that and "She's pretty non-religious for a black person"?

I wouldn't wonder at the difference between "She's pretty short for a person from South Carolina" and "She's pretty short for a black person" either. You can't say that they're equivalent generalizations.