I gotta get me some sodium acetate.

blackhole123

sodium carbonate is better (or Bicarb).

unless you have Indicator paper handy?

with these 2 you will see that the reaction is finished when you add a little more and no bubbles form :)

although I would add or keep the excess towards the Vinegar side, as that is easily driven off with gentle heating.

A couple more things to think about. Sodium acetate is very soluble in water. It only takes 60 ml of boiling water to dissove 100 g of the salt.

Vinegar is only a few percent acetic acid typically 4 or 5%; the rest is mainly water.

You are going to need a lot of vinegar and a lot of patience boiling off water to do this experiment on the scale in that video.

LOL, Yeah :)

and it makes the place stink like a chippy for days too!

I used GAA for mine, but I still had to thin it out a little with white distilled vinegar to get the reaction running smoothly.

in addition, it`s also important to select your Vinegar correctly too!, you can get 8% pickling vinegar that will work fine, but some has sugars added and other junk.

a good way to test is to boil a small amount off and have a look to see if during this it starts to go Brown, if it does then you may have problems so don`t use it.

You can always distill the stuff to leave the caramel and sugars behind but I'd look on ebay for sodium acetate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sodium-Acetate-Anhydrous-FCC-Food-Grade-Powder-1LB_W0QQitemZ130146100710QQihZ003QQcategoryZ104233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(I am not afilliated with the vendor, not can I offer any evidence of their quality- when it coemes down to it I can type "acetate" into an ebay search)