linear algebra in chemistry?

pickypiggy23

hey everyone...

hmm.. i gotta do this project for my linear algebra class .. "of how is linear algebra used in your area of study or .. future occupation..."

and i am actually a chemistry major..:confused:

so .. could anyone give me some advices of how does linear algebra applies on chemistry in anyway?

Greatly appreciated !!!

What are your thoughts on this. What kinds of problems do you have in linear algebra. One of the first that comes to mind is solving systems of equations. I'm not a chemistry major but I have dim memories of trying to "balance" chemical formulas. Doesn't that involve systems of equations? And deciding how much of a particular chemical to add to a mixture seems to involve systems of equations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis

BTW, it's not good to say you're a major of a certain type of science when you don't know its fundamentals. Really, really bad to say. It's looked down upon as a person goes up the ladder. There have been times when I forgot the fundamentals--but I usually pick them back up quite quickly.

Recently someone brought up a neuroscience question here, I misinterpreted the question, so I didn't really answer. Funny enough, it was a fundamental question. I felt stupid. However, were I in a work, school, or meeting environment, not being able to correctly interpret, respond, know the answer is not good.

Well, you use quite a lot of differential equations in Thermodynamics, and in solving reaction dynamics (have you taken physical chemistry yet?). The theory of ordinary differential equations relies pretty heavily on linear algebra.

Also, if you ever take a quantum chemistry class, all of quantum mechanics is linear algebra.

Someone studying chemistry as the major part of their degree (ie a chemistry major) is not expected to be fully conversant with the subject- that's why they are still studying it so I don't see what Geneks is on about.

I think finding a deffinition of linear algebra and seeing how it applies to chemistry might be a good start. I had a look at wiki and it seems to give some good ideas.