Sociology help!!!

spooky

hey guys, my mums just gotten into uni, and we're having some difficulty find credible sources for one of her Essays. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The question is:

what is meant by the term 'Modernity and what are the main features said to characterize 'the great transformation giving rise to modernity?'

All sources need to be referenced thats another factor as to why we're having some issues..as most pages Google returns are not.

We've had a look on recommended uni pages, but they are turning up limited results. They're not user-friendly...and even I'm having some difficulty finding results.

So I logged onto here cause I know you guys are awesome at this kinda thing. I don't really need the information to directly laid in front of us, that would be useful. ^.- But a gentle push in the right direction would be most helpful.

:D

thanks in advance

~spooky~

Hi spooky,

One possible route for you to follow is to type the term "describe modernity in sociology" into a google search, then try to look at just the ".edu" addresses.

Alternatively, you could just do a search of the term "modernity" on scholar.google.com.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=modernity&hl=en&lr=

After that, I would just suggest doing the same on whatever today's equivalent of Lexus/Nexxus is at the uni's libraries. Good luck to you both on the project!

EDIT: Apparrently, the term "great transformation to modernity" is a direct quote from a dude named Giddens. Maybe this will help. :cool:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=great+transformation+modernity+Giddens

Couldn't tell you, spooky. This looks reference-specific, meaning the teacher wants you to memorize and know that specific amount of data. I suggest finding a classmate to help you. Other than that, I'm thinking industrialization? Probably wrong, though. Also, that question is weird. Modernity giving rise to modernity? It's as if it's self-supporting. I see a closed-system, so why would anything else help it. Seems illogical... hmm, weird.

Modernity giving rise to modernity? It's as if it's self-supporting. I see a closed-system, so why would anything else help it. Seems illogical... hmm, weird.

The question was asking what is Modernity, and what transformation gave rise to Modernity...

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ688611&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=eric_accno&accno=EJ688611

I found the above, obviously the definition of the word can be found on wiki et.c

Note, the link is just for ideas, it's still speculative.

Try this reference for a start; http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/GLOSSARY/MODERN.HTM

Modernity is essentially looking at the present as being dicontinuous from the past. Rather than a building upon tradition, it more like the illusion of starting from scratch. For example, if a band redoes a song from the past modernity creates the illusion this is brand new and cutting edge. In that that example, modernity is short term thinking that can't see long range thereby creating the illusion this is the first time this happened. But on the other hand, it also has the advantage of not having to be continous with continuity of traditions that may have their own limitations, allowing one to break off into a new direction that may be beneficial to the future.