What's your field?

CDarwin

Which options would you consider your specialty?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which options would you consider your specialty?

• Cosmology/Astronomy
    • Psychology
    • Physics
    • Mathematics
    • Chemistry
    • Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
    • Microbiology
    • Zoology
    • Ecology/Evolutionary Biology
    • Botany
    • Geology
    • Palaeontology
    • Anthropology
    • Sociology
    • Other- Please Specify
    • Medicine
    • Computer Science
    • Engineering

Biochemistry grad school. However my secret identity is in synthetic biology and genetic engineering. I choose my Biochem projects based on if they allow me to design new techniques/methodologies and constructs. Not based on what I'll discover.

Drives my supervisors insane having to explain all these hair brained ideas to them lol. At least they work.

I studied economics and psychology with a heavy emphasis in statistics and research design. Minor in education. Having been corporate for a few years now, and advancing through the food chain, I'm considering an Executive MBA, but need to find funds first.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but not if it's a CAO Brazilia. ;)

do "Future Specialties" count? ;)

I'm currently on my way to achieve a bachelors in Eletrical Engineering, followed by Astrophysics degree... so at the MOMENT I'm still a partial layman. In the future, though.. well. That's a different story :)

~moo

I do something in between mathematics and physics; "mathematical physics". I am studying towards a PhD.

I am interested in geometric descriptions of classical and quantum field theory. In particular I am interested in supermanifolds and how they can be of use in more standard differential geometry including various symplectic structures that can be defined.

In doing so I am interested in "general geometric methods" rather than any particular theory.

I choose "other" because it felt like the most fair choice, but I guess physics is otherwise closest. My formal university education is physics, mathematics and some computer science.

My main interest is to simply increase my understanding about reality, specifically the natural sciences and it's philosophy. My perspective is to a large extent an abstract information perspective, and my current thinking circles around understanding complex systems, self organisation and the apparent laws of physics from a probabilistic learning and evolutionary perspective, pretty much seeking for the proper mathematical formalism for it. Making my main interest a mix between physics, philosophy and maybe machine learning and optimal inference methods.

/Fredrik

I lean towards Chem, Electronics and Mechanical Engineering mainly, although I don`t have a specific area as such in my work, I have to be Flexible and able to accommodate Most areas of Science.

{except maths :P}

I'm working on a PhD in information systems and information security.

I'm thinking about pursuing an MBA after that. I want to find out if it's true that achieving an MBA causes actual decay in brain matter, similar to the effect of long-term use of LSD, affecting primarily the areas of basic cause-and-effect reasoning and simple mathematics (e.g. accounting).