New Theory about light

Shygirl

Big bang........ sends everything out into space at unimmaginable speeds

991.jpg

hydrogen moving at unimmaginable speeds out

992.jpg

fusion accuring... the star.. and hydrogen are moving at unimmaginable speeds... light on the other hand.. stays PERFECTLY at the 1 point in space it was left

993.jpg

galazys form.. moving at immaginable speeds... but spinning at immaginable speeds also...

994.jpg

the sun and earth.. youd think that the earth wudnt hit light becasue its on the wrong side... but you forget that the galaxy is spinning at speeds unimmaginably

995.jpg

shoot it down pls.. i kinda want 2 c if its possible

ahh right. sorry.

say your going three quarters the speed of light relative to earth. you fire a cannon that sends a cannon ball at three quarters the speed of light relative to you.

someone watching you on earth would not see the cannonball going at one and a half times the speed of light. it would be going at less than the speed of light (0.95c or something)

c is commonly used in place of 'the speed of light' and the number before is the factor.

0.5c is half the speed of light.

i'm sure one of the physicist will explain how length contraction and timedilation account for this. i only know the basics of it but not well enough to explain it properly

ok 1st... whats a factor...

3nd ther r scientists on this forum? like real ones?

4th... questons

im moving at .5c relativ 2 earth.... the star im going to is 10 light years away.. i shoot a gun and the bullet is now going 1.5c relative to me..

1st... in my perspective... will the bullet get to the star in 5 years.. and will i get to the star in 20 years?

and to the earth.. will we both reath the star at the same time? or maby the bullet will reach the star in 10 years.. and ill reach in 20?

wut will i c? and wut will the peeps on earth c?

ok 1st... whats a factor...

I believe the poster meant that it was a portion of the speed of light.

3nd ther r scientists on this forum? like real ones?

What happened to number 2? ;) Of course there are real scientists. Many kinds. There are also people who are "just interested in" science, and people who know very little. Science is an approach to the universe, and some people are just lucky enough to get paid pursuing that path.

4th... questons

im moving at .5c relativ 2 earth.... the star im going to is 10 light years away.. i shoot a gun and the bullet is now going 1.5c relative to me..

According to classical mechanics (this is where you'll hear the name Newton brought up), this seems likely. Like, if you're in a car going 50 miles an hour, and you throw a ball in front of you 10 miles an hour, the person standing on the road sees the balling going 60 miles an hour. However, your example above cannot be accurate, because of c (the speed of light) being a fundamental maximum speed any object can go.

1st... in my perspective... will the bullet get to the star in 5 years.. and will i get to the star in 20 years?

Well, the fastest the bullet could get to the star is at the speed of light... c. So, if the star is 10 light years away, and the bullet is moving at the speed of light, it will get there in 10 years. It cannot get there any faster.

and to the earth.. will we both reath the star at the same time? or maby the bullet will reach the star in 10 years.. and ill reach in 20?

Well, if you shot the bullet, it would be going faster than you. However, it still could not surpass the speed of light. So, to the folks on Earth, the bullet would get there before you because it's moving faster than you are.

wut will i c? and wut will the peeps on earth c?

Again, the bullet will not go faster than the speed of light... That said, you will definitely see the bullet get there before the people on earth see the bullet get there. This is simply because you are closer, and doesn't have much to do with relativity (that I know of anyway).

If we are both driving down the highway and pass a gas station at the same time, but then I pass you, and you are going 50mph and I'm going 100mph, who will the people at the gas station we just passed see arrive first at the exit down the road? Same with your bullet example.

Where it gets somewhat odd is when relativistic speeds are involved. Did you check out the simulations I shared at the below?

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=352768&postcount=33

A factor is the .5 in .5c.

There are scientists on this forum. Swansont has a PhD in atomic physics (meaning he's Dr. Swansont). Klaynos is currently working toward a physics degree. And those are just the two I can think of right now.

Now, let me explain some relativity. This is not a direct answer to your question, but it should help.

The trouble with numbers in relativity is that they, quite simply, don't add up. Let's say you have a gun that can shoot bullets at half the speed of light, or .5c. Then you go flying along in your spaceship at .5c and shoot the gun. You'd expect .5 + .5 to make 1c, and thus mean that the bullet will fly at the speed of light.

But that's not what happens. The bullet will launch ahead at maybe .8c. This is not because your gun is broken, it's because the faster you travel, the more mass you have, and therefore the more energy it takes to go faster. (This also leads to the rule that means you can't reach the speed of light - the closer you get to it, the harder it is to go faster, so you might be able to get to .99999c, but you'll never get to 1c.)

That also means that your question just wouldn't work, because your bullet could not go at 1.5c relative to you, or in fact 1c relative to anybody. (Note that light always travels at c, because it does not have mass at all.)

Example:

You're travelling at .5c in your shiny spaceship. You point your flashlight ahead and turn it on. You see the light go blasting ahead at 1c relative to you. So you'd think someone standing on the side of the hyperspace express route would see you flash past at .5c, with a flashlight beam travelling at 1.5c. Instead, what (confusingly) happens is that they see the light shooting ahead at 1c, and you at .5c -- meaning the light is only going .5c faster than you are.

So who's right? It obviously cannot be going 1c faster than you (from your perspective) and .5c faster than you (from their perspective) at the same time.

The answer is that both of you are right. This seems like a contradiction, but it all works out in the end.

The reason is time dilation. When you travel at .5c, time dilates -- time goes half as fast for you. You wouldn't notice -- everything seems normal to you -- but some guy with a really nice camera looking through the window on your spaceship would see your clock going half as fast. This means that the speeds work out (remember that speeds are in units per second, and if your second is different from someone else's second, your speeds may look different...).

And I'm very probably wrong somewhere or another in that explanation. That's how I understand it, anyway. Hope it helps.

it goes faster to me tho becasue time slows for me... correct?

i think i kinda understand now...

if i go off in a space ship going .5c and come back 5 years later "relative me" it wont b just 5 years.. my twin sis for example would be like 10 years aolder then me now

so relly the thing that messes it up is that time slows making things seem faster and slower

correct?

so relly the thing that messes it up is that time slows making things seem faster and slower

correct?

Not quite, but you're heading on the right track. :)

I think you're jumping in at the deep end with relativity, and perhaps it would be more beneficial to understand some basics...however, please don't be put off by this, it's quick to learn, and you'll see that harder areas of physics are easier to understand if you have a foundation to build on and refer to.

So I guess forget relativity for the time being, we can get back to that later.

Let's clear up your area of inquiry, you're interested in physics...which is 'the study of motion.' So it'll be best to start with what we're dealing with here...

Now, try and think of any object that isn't in motion...you may think of your keyboard as 'not moving', but your keyboard is traveling around the Sun, on Earth at roughly 30 kilometers a second, and the atoms that your keyboard is made of, are all jostling around (although you can't see this.) So it's fair to say that 'everything' is in motion, and already we have a 'fundamental' of physics.

Another point to remember, is that the attributes of motion, for example speed, mass, force et.c are related. This is important to note, so when Cap'n says 'the faster you travel, the more mass you have, and therefore the more energy it takes to go faster.' You can see mass, energy and speed are related with each other...so of course time is related, but lets not worry about that just yet.

As I suggested in another post, the best way to appreciate and 'get used to' these ideas, is to start with Newtonian Mechanics. I can't stress enough, that, if you don't understand Newtonian Mechanics, you will not even begin to understand relativity. So start at this level, and ask questions around this area, the rest will make sense as you progress.

I hope the above wasn't patronizing in any way, you're clearly curious about physics, and I hope you stick around so we can help better your understanding of the subject. :)