Relatively ignorant question.

Aphelion

I cannot remember who said it, however once I do infact remember I will kick myself, that at the speed of light time slows to a near stop, atleast for you.

Taking this into mind, if in a black hole, where things must move faster than light (thus the reason light cannot excape etc.) Then if time Stops at the speed of light, does it go backwards when you accelerate past that speed? And if so, wouldn't when you enter the black hole, you be reveresed in time as soon as your velocity hit the breaking point of the light barrier? At that point , would you ever actually fly into the black hole?

So, essentially, you are telling me that if I went on a journey through a wormhole to a distance not possibly reachable by sub-luminal speeds, rendering my average velocity above the speed of light, that it was most likely imaginary?

alt_f13 said in post # :

So, essentially, you are telling me that if I went on a journey through a wormhole to a distance not possibly reachable by sub-luminal speeds, rendering my average velocity above the speed of light, that it was most likely imaginary?

No.

He doesnt mean imaginary like you dreamed it. He means time would not be a real number, because the square root of a negative is imaginary. In other words the equations we use to calculate this would break down at a velocity higher than the speed of light and return an imaginary number. But all that is irrelative because faster than light speed is impossible.

Only with conventional acceleration.

And also group velocity, where a group of wave particles fired through a specially treated chamber of Cs atoms emerged from one end before it entered the other; the speed of the group was over 200x the speed of light (but none of the individual particles surpassed c).

Depends on what state of science we are talking about. Science is dependant on our intelligence, if we were 1000 times more intelligent, you would get different answers to your questions. You would get better answers, but you would fail your exams. My answer is that the speed of light is much faster than we can register it. So the speed of light is already travelling faster than the speed of light that is based on our measurements.

Pincho.

Pinch Paxton said in post # :

Depends on what state of science we are talking about. Science is dependant on our intelligence, if we were 1000 times more intelligent, you would get different answers to your questions. You would get better answers, but you would fail your exams. My answer is that the speed of light is much faster than we can register it. So the speed of light is already travelling faster than the speed of light that is based on our measurements.

Pincho.

If you're serious, you're very stupid.

Of course, that would make your speed of light much less than mine, so we'd have problems!

The reason time beocmes imaginary past light speed comes from a mathematical equation: that time dilation = 1/square root[1-(velocity of object/speed of light)^2].

If velocity v equals light speed c, then

time dilation = 1/square root[1-(c/c)^2] =

time dilation = 1/square root[1-(1)^2] =

time dilation = 1/square root[1-1] =

time dilation = 1/square root[0] =

1/0 = Infinite Time dilation or everything appears to stop

If you go past c, say 2c then,

time dilation = 1/square root[1-(2c/c)^2] =

time dilation = 1/square root[1-(2)^2] =

time dilation = 1/square root[1-4] =

time dilation = 1/square root[-3] = imaginary time dilation

That just means it would not be a real number

In laymans turns this is why you cant go faster than light:

You know that under the laws of relativity (E=mc2) the faster you go the more energy you have, and the more energy you have the greater your mass. This menas as your mass increases without limit as your speed approaches thta of light, you would require a push of an infinite amount to reach/cross the light speed barrier. This is impossible and hence its not possable to travel faster than light. So this is realy a mute point.

1: JaKiri, do you ever actually explain what you say, or do you simply make statements and expect them to be taken as fact?

2: Many of Einstein's theories have thusfar been disproven. Indeed, if using realitivity one cannot travel faster than the speed of light, however that was not the question. If, at some point, you can indeed travel faster than light, what would time do from your perspective?

In a blackhole, something inwhich draws in lightwaves, curving them to its gravitational pull... would not light's speed actually have to increase? As well it has been proven that light speeds up and slows down nearer and farther from gravity wells as it travels, thus why light curves.

Aphelion said in post # :

Many of Einstein's theories have thusfar been disproven.

Such as?

Einstein/Bose condensates are doing well, SR is damn near untouchable, GR is standardised, and the explanation of the photoelectric effect is the route of QM.

The only thing I can think of that's not in fashion is The Cosmological Constant, but that's coming back.

Aphelion said in post # :

Indeed, if using realitivity one cannot travel faster than the speed of light, however that was not the question. If, at some point, you can indeed travel faster than light, what would time do from your perspective?

It would be imaginary. Like I said.

• 2 weeks later...

So if one WERE going faster than the speed of light due to a black hole, and thus time DID go backward, then would you back in time until the point you went faster than the speed of light, and back and forth, effectively stuck in one spot in both time and space?

Doesn't - in theory - a black hole *stop* time?

It pulls EVERYTHING towards it, therefore movement is impossible, matter theoretically transforms to energy *and* time moves slower until it stops.

That's the theory i know... :|

~moo

Now we have an entirely different possibility arising: Can time stop? If not, if it simply slows to a crawl, can the force inwhich makes it slow, in this question a blackhole, actually tear the fabric of space? Into subspace or hyperspace, or another overlying plane inwhich one can once again accelerate into? If this is the case, when your velocity ceased and you once again began to slow, would you drop out of this other plane back into 'normal space' or would you simply be held there at a constant speed?

Theoretically if we manage to SLOW time, it logically means that STOPPING time is possible.

However, odds are we won't even know. Time is personal, if time stopped - or went "slower" you wouldn't have noticed it since EVERYTHING you ARE would go slower, including your consciousness and being - therefore you may just think you're as "normal" as the rest of the universe, while you're actually moving a zillion million million times slower...

just a possibility..

~moo