Beginning SLR Camera

Rakdos

The XTi/400D is a quite good starter dSLR, but you will definitely have to expect to buy some decent lenses with them as Mag said.

You wont really get far with the 18-55 kit lens!

This is what I've got... the kit lens is better than some people give it credit, but I'll soon be replacing mine with something that costs more than the camera body, but will keep for a long time :D

This is what I've got... the kit lens is better than some people give it credit, but I'll soon be replacing mine with something that costs more than the camera body, but will keep for a long time :D

the good thing is you can get cool lenses, like a fisheye one - and let me tell you, that one is cool!

anyways, good luck :)

My advice is to remember that when you buy a DSLR, you're buying into the system whether it's Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc. Once you have the body, then you'll want a telephoto/wide-angle/fast prime/etc lens as well as flashguns, battery grips, remotes, memory cards and a whole load of other junk. So ensure you get the camera maker that you're most confident in, otherwise you'll have to sell up and start all over again since the brands aren't really compatible.

I did my research and decided that with Canon making some of the best gear on the market today, and the fact that the Digital Rebel XT/350D was the best introductory DSLR at the time, I'd go with them. The camera is great, and I also got two additional (albeit expensive) lenses. The XTi is a very good SLR for a beginner, although you might want to consider the XT. It's still in production (or at least there's a lot of stock left) and about $100-$150 cheaper thant the XTi. It all depends on whether you want the extra features or whether you want to put the extra money towards new lenses.

Regarding lenses... stick with the 18-55 until you know what type of photography you're into, then make your decision as to what lenses you want to purchase. Buying good quality lenses is far more important than buying a more expensive camera body. Don't rush into it, or you'll end up regretting not buying a better lens, trust me :)