1+1= not 2?

bored_teen

That wouldn't really fit with any regularly used definition of '+' then would it?

Roman Numerals I+I=II

:P

That wouldn't really fit with any regularly used definition of '+' then would it?

Roman Numerals I+I=II

:P

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry... :confused:

Isn't the fact that 1+1 = 2 derived empirically?

As in " When I put one nut in the sack and then another nut, then I got two nuts in the sack."

And logic is then a generalized system based on the above and similar empirically derived non-disputable facts?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
oh hey you guys i heard this forum was the place to be so i decided to join... to the point 1+1 obviously = 2 what are you on about /sigh thanks bye
Joining with two accounts is against the rules. I doubt your sincerity and you have a big strike against you, especially since your other account has already started calling people "idiots".

So, a quick summary of when [imath]1+1\neq 2[/imath].

• When your working modulo <2
  • When by '+' you don't mean 'plus'
    • As the logical operator AND, which I've always seen written as '^' which seems an awful lot less confusing. But write it however you like, whatever. (you'll note that I never challenged this)
    • When you chose it to mean something completely random, which is okay, just boring.

[*]When by '1' and '2' you don't mean '1' and '2'. This is stupid. (a 'I' doesn't look like a '1', srsly)[*]When you apply a fallacious 'proof', this is mega stupid.[*]When you are otherwise being stupid, or boring.

Unless I've missed something, can we call this concluded?