Segway

Norman Albers

I recently enjoyed a demo riding the Segway one-person gyro-controlled conveyance or whatever to call it. It is quite impressive and I enjoyed feeling dumb like a six-year old as I fell off making a backup turn. Clearly it would be useful in some circumstances, with a battery range of more than thirty kilometers, and one can mount two hardshell carrying cases for a moderate amount of groceries. My question: are folks finding these things useful or are they just a "rich man's toy?" Are you Europeans whizzing around towns on them, or even back and forth to towns?

I've seen police on them in a few towns and in airports. They do seem ideally suited for large airports, actually. I still think they're generally impractical and overpriced for what they offer, though.

• 7 months later...

It's more energy-efficient to bike, and a lot of streets ban segway use on the sidewalks and public places, unless you're a police officer. Besides, segways don't give excerisize.

Remember, don't be a sac of potential energy, be kinetic energy!

from Wiki: "In the UK it is unlawful to use a Segway anywhere other than on private property and only with the owners permission. [17] It is hoped that with continued pressure from UK dealers and the public [18], suitable provisions within the law may be made."

so no, I`v not seen anyone with one, although they do have them for sale in Toys-R-Us.

I saw a security guard on one at the nearby outlet mall a few weeks back. I remember commenting to my girlfriend, "That's pretty cool, but he's clearly one of the guards who should be walking instead." :D

I fail to understand why anyone would buy one for US$5000 when they could buy either a bicycle or golf cart (either of which would be much more useful, IMO, than the Segway) for US$500 or less. For what it is worth, you can buy a decent used car for US$5000.

Situation in the Netherlands:

We are completely addicted to bikes, and we have possibly the worlds best infrastructure for bikes (lots and lots of bike roads, and loads of shops to buy or fix new or second hand bikes). The bike density is about 1 per person across the country.

Segways have a topspeed of 12.5 mph, or 20 km/h. I can easily beat that by bike. I can also stash several crates of beer on the back of my bike, or even another person. Mothers are even more experienced (see picture).

mamafiets1.jpg [ce] <- [/ce] faster, cheaper, more actionradius, more carrying capacity

Segway doesn't stand a chance. :D