Black Hole=Worm

As much as I want to laugh about what a friend in college was explaiing to me I couldn't because his question was relativly to me unanswerale.

"Why should the laws of physics apply to something that we can't understand ourselves such as the black hole?"

"In many ways the black hole seems like a rip in the fabric of space."

"I would think that a rip in space would create equal or even more of a pull from gravity than a black hole."

"Why haven't scientist even considered the fact that there worm hole is right in there face?"

I wanted to laugh but at the same time i had no explanation to any of his questions except the fact I agree that physics should not apply to something that we can't understand ourselves.

I mean how can one guess what happens in a black hole. Its completely unimaginable.

As much as I want to laugh about what a friend in college was explaiing to me I couldn't because his question was relativly to me unanswerale.

"Why should the laws of physics apply to something that we can't understand ourselves such as the black hole?"

"I would think that a rip in space would create equal or even more of a pull from gravity than a black hole."

"Why haven't scientist even considered the fact that there worm hole is right in there face?"

This is just conjecture, science doesn't really deal with such things. Could you find me a scientific reference for a black hold being a rip in space? IIRC GR says they should form singularities, but that is not the same.

I wanted to laugh but at the same time i had no explanation to any of his questions except the fact I agree that physics should not apply to something that we can't understand ourselves.

I mean how can one guess what happens in a black hole. Its completely unimaginable.

Of course physics should apply, our theories are not complete, but if they where to be then they would apply perfectly to both black holes and anything we could witness on earth (or anywhere else).

We don't guess, we extend our mathematical (and empirically tested) models to new areas.

A black hole arises out of a solution in General Relativity, so the laws of physics do apply. In fact, any mass could become a black hole if it manages to collapse to the Schwarzschild radius, which is R= (2MG) / c^2.

The problems with Relativity are the singularity solutions, because they break down at that point.

Well, the first question you have to ask is, does a wormhole even exist? Some solutions of GR do allow one, but it is a bit of a stretch.

There is a lot of things we don't understand, and the whole point of science is to take what we don't understand and try to understand it by hypothesis, verification, and mathematics. This is how we formulate laws that govern phenomena.

But even then, some theories such as Quantum Mechanics, will remain beyond our total comprehension. But one thing we can do is understand the math behind it and use it to make predictions. That is how we know about the mechanisms behind it.

..........I'm loving this site.

Great answers you guys!

Though I can go on about this topic because I will always have questions that need answered and arguements stating facts; of course to make an argument.

It's just I believe there is a worm hole. Maybe we are looking to hard when it is right in our faces and we are to smart to notice such a small thing.

..........I'm loving this site.

Great answers you guys!

Though I can go on about this topic because I will always have questions that need answered and arguements stating facts; of course to make an argument.

It's just I believe there is a worm hole. Maybe we are looking to hard when it is right in our faces and we are to smart to notice such a small thing.

I am not a physics guy so don’t take my response as truth or anything. When physicists formulate say an equation to represent say how a ball bounces, well it sort of collapses the wave function of reality to make a joke. Its at that point some people can say well its all good and move on or more research on why that equation has solid predictive power. For instance, Newton’s physics has a good deal of working power, but it can be expanded on and of course cant explain everything. In a decade or so some discovery on the QM level could force the physics community to rethink a great many things, it happens. Before a certain physicist did an experiment with BEC involving light, at large her experiment was basically held as hopeless by most physicist she talked with.

As for what a black hole is or is not, I have no real clue. I would suggest that if it is indeed a worm hole, well I don’t know exactly how that would work for one, save it might aid string theory I guess, and the other is if it does work I don’t know how humans would make any use of it. Another idea that is being put forward is that black holes grow by "feeding" on nearby objects.

A black hole could not be a wormhole because a wormhole is a myth, an imaginary, unvalidated figment of someone's imagination, whereas a black hole is pretty well mapped out mathematically. Have you seen The Black Hole? They get close to the black hole thinking that it is really a wormhole, then they smash into the ultra hot furnace. You really never get to the singularity because of all the other matter in the way. You just can't see it.

Am I really right or am I really right? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt very much that a blackhole could ever be thought of as anything like a wormhole. It would seem that blackholes would support string theory and the idea of multiple dimensions; furthermore the blackhole could actually be percevied as an opening between our spacetime and that of another dimension. The notion of the descrution of any object that attempts to come close to the event horizion of a blackhole would be subject to a possible paradox created by the crossing of spacetime between two dimensions. Or does that sound completly wacked?

You all are talking about singularities, but most likely there is no singularity inside a black hole. The mathematical model of GR predicts a singularity (solutions for some variables going to infinity), but this does not mean that it really exists. I'm quite confident that the model of general relativity only has approximate validity and that the closer one gets to the center area of a black hole, the worse its approximation is.

Just think of it as with Newtonian mechanics. That also is an approximation of reality. It is a VERY GOOD approximation at speeds, densities and gravitation levels we are used to, but the closer one goes to the speed of light, or the more intense gravitation becomes the worse the approximation. At the speed of light, the model of Newtonian mechanics is totally useless. In the same way, the model of GR becomes less and less useful as one is approaching the center area of a black hole more and more.

Personally I think that if a good unification of GR and QM is found, then no singularity exists anymore in the mathematical models.

In my limited knowledge, I was under the impression that a blackhole (singularity) was mathematically sound iff there was something on the other side of it ie. different dimensions, ect. I seem to recall something roughly called the "no hair theorem" in which there is only three things you can know about a black hole (therefore no hairy little details to worry about): It's Mass, electric charge, and it's angular momentum. So with the current model you could debate that there is a worm hole or a singularity or even the complete works of shakespeare in there. The problem is it is useless to try and predict something with a theory when said theory breaks down in those circustances.

~Fool

haha i dont really know much so im just gonna say what i know....yes a black hole could be a singularity but there have been theories that say that there is an exit to a black hole...i guess you guys should know that...the theroy is tht since objects are sucked in by black holes,the objects are thrown somewhere else thru a whitehole...but you dont see the exit since the black hole pulls light in...therefore you just see a black patch in the place of a blackhole...

so there have been theories that say if you manage to merge a blackhole and a whitehole together you may get what you call a wormhole...which is what you guys are talking abt andf i dont understand...and also possible portal thru time,as some scientist have said...

wormholes are also seen as the entrance to slipspace rifts(rips of space in..uhh.. space.)by certain theroist...heres how i think they explain it:

when a blackhole and whitehole merge,they seem to cancel each others equal power out...so once they are no longer active,they form somewhat tears in space where objects used to be pulled into...these tears are seen as little tunnels which may transport us to a totally different galaxy...

if we have the power to create wormholes at will and control the coordinates of the wormhole,it would mean we could travel thru space at speeds thousands of times faster than what we are capable of now.

i think i just wrote a total bunch of crap but thats what i kinda know abt wormholes...i bet im totally wrong so if anyone can correct me i would be really happy to learn from you...

x games 13 is on WOOT!!!