Impossible Brain Teaser?

I'm not sure about who gave me this, but I've never seen it solved. Maybe you guys have, so here it goes:

Connect a line from each of the three squares to each of the three circles (nine lines in all) without crossing or going "under" or "above" a line. I believe the original brain teaser was phrased "Three houses need a gas line, water line, and electricity line, and all must be on the same plane underground."

You'd be best not to try and solve it; I did, and I can't find any solution. If there is one, you either know it or you don't. But go ahead and try if you think you can.

BrainTease.bmp

I tend towards thinking there is no solution. If you take 2 squares and three circles, then I think there's only one solution, the one in the picture I attached (solutions which are created out of each other by moving around the objects and/or bending the lines are assumed equivalent, so you could move the upper square down without a problem). This solution divides the total area into three subareas 1, 2 and 3. The 3rd square had to lie in one of those areas but for each area, one of the circles is unreachable (1:C, 2:A, 3:B).

attachment.php?attachmentid=1575&stc=1&d=1185326858

areas.PNG

I'm not sure about who gave me this, but I've never seen it solved. Maybe you guys have, so here it goes:

Connect a line from each of the three squares to each of the three circles (nine lines in all) without crossing or going "under" or "above" a line. I believe the original brain teaser was phrased "Three houses need a gas line, water line, and electricity line, and all must be on the same plane underground."

You'd be best not to try and solve it; I did, and I can't find any solution. If there is one, you either know it or you don't. But go ahead and try if you think you can.

Sorry, guys, I'm not sure if this is cheating, but it took me about 10 minutes and I don't think it broke the rules - I just used a junction box :)

BrainTease.bmp

It doesn't explicitely break the rules stated in the OP and is also mentioned in the link given by River_rat which sais "some people have a trick to get around the problem: they send a gas, water, or electric line through one of the houses".

It doesn't explicitely break the rules stated in the OP and is also mentioned in the link given by River_rat which sais "some people have a trick to get around the problem: they send a gas, water, or electric line through one of the houses".

Oops, sorry, I followed the link, but didn't read the text, just looked at the pictures

To solve this problem you need to do what the utility companies do and dig holes; in the paper.

If you make a hole in the paper then a line drawn between two points the line can go in to the hole and on to the opposite side of the paper. You can then bring the line through another hole in the paper and join it to the destination. The line will be unbroken and will not cross another line, i.e. interfere with it, it will go over/under it.

To solve this problem you need to do what the utility companies do and dig holes; in the paper.

If you make a hole in the paper then a line drawn between two points the line can go in to the hole and on to the opposite side of the paper. You can then bring the line through another hole in the paper and join it to the destination. The line will be unbroken and will not cross another line, i.e. interfere with it, it will go over/under it.

Sorry john, the rules say no going under or over

I think the only solution is as i've drawn, although not strictly in accordance with the rules, the rules don't explicitly exclude my solution

I think the only solution is as i've drawn, although not strictly in accordance with the rules, the rules don't explicitly exclude my solution

But the objective is to make the connections with "a line" and your lines are broken.

I first tried to solve this problem a little over 40 years ago. A little less than 40 years ago I realised that it was impossible. Any solution requires cheating or bending the rules.

But the objective is to make the connections with "a line" and your lines are broken.

They can be made continuous and fulfill the concept, but not the specific wording of lines from from squares to circles. As written, it's impossible.

But what about magnetic interference?

But what about magnetic interference?

It's the gas pipes in a paper trench that would worry me; or perhaps the water pipes. One leak and you get soggy paper that bends and breaks the gas pipe followed by a break in the electrical cable causing a spark to ignite the gas and the whole paper town goes up in smoke.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
i'm not sure about who gave me this, but i've never seen it solved. Maybe you guys have, so here it goes:

Connect a line from each of the three squares to each of the three circles (nine lines in all) without crossing or going "under" or "above" a line. I believe the original brain teaser was phrased "three houses need a gas line, water line, and electricity line, and all must be on the same plane underground."

you'd be best not to try and solve it; i did, and i can't find any solution. If there is one, you either know it or you don't. But go ahead and try if you think you can.

one of my friends did this to me at school they didnt say anyhting about there having to be 9 lines or anything he just said that each square had to touch each circle without crossing and he knows the answer so there is a way i just dont know what it is!!!:)

:) :-D :P :-l

. .

U