Microbiology,Plant,Animal

ss2

Hi all,

Iv been having real difficulty in finding information on the following question:

Q) What are the mechanisms for surviving extreme temperatures in animals, plants and microorganisms.

Does anyone know any websites where i can find information on this and any suggestions or answers to the question will be appreciated. THANKS...

• 2 weeks later...

A general term for creatures, particularly single celled one that live in extreme conditions is 'extremophiles' - might be worth typing into Google.

Take a look at the differences between polar bears and ordinary brown bears from warmer climes - this has been in the science news recently.

You might investigate the Notothenioids, such as the arctic cod.

You should look up 'Black Smokers', hot vents on the ocean floor and the source of Taq polymerase, an enzyme that has revolutionised molecular biology for reasons related to this subject.

An interesting way to kick off your research might be to read about what lifeforms might survive in the cold wastes of Mars or elsewhere - 'Exobiology'

Perhaps you could even look at some of the ideas behind 'Panspermia', the theory that all life on earth was seeded by lifeforms that have survived the cold depths of space of eons.

Or just consider what the difference is between coniferous and deciduous trees and between succulents and broad leafed plants, between reptiles and mammals and between africans and europeans.

I'm not sure if you still need any help, but in addition to the organisms that Xavier mentioned, you might try looking up mangroves. They have quite a few interesting mechanisms for surviving in saline environments.

Are there even any mangrove swamps left :-( ?

Are there even any mangrove swamps left :-( ?

Oh, I hope so. I visited some around Florida when I was a teenager. They were so magnificent! I'd love to make a mangrove habitat saltwater tank someday... I think in some regions they are a threatened ecosystem though.