Home Made Computer (don`t laugh!)

YT2095

here`s a few pics of a computer I designed and built in the early 90`s

I just thought I`de share it with a few fellow CyberGeeks :)

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yt2095/experiments/mycomp.jpg

these are the basic insides:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yt2095/experiments/mycomp2.jpg

a closeup of the display:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yt2095/experiments/mycomp3.jpg

the back of the circuit board:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yt2095/experiments/mycomp4.jpg

It`s a Z80 based machine with a massive 8K ram LOL.

the mem is battery backed but I`ve given it the ability to save or retreive of tape also.

it programs in machine code, but I did write a very simple version of BASIC for it also (as you can see on the display).

it also has sound (tone/duration) that can make some pretty interesting effects or annoy you :)

the whole thing from the idea on a scrap of paper to the finished product took me about 8 months (I had to build an eprom programmer 1`st).

I hope you enjoy the pics :)

(sorry if the pics are a bit shakey, I aint had a beer yet LOL :)

Cheetah, thnx man :)

Sayonara³ said in post # :

Lol, Funky.

You should market those against IBM.

funny you said that, I dunno if you saw the word "Cybex" in there, but that was a company that I was trying to start up in 1990, the computer that was built in those pics was later used a prototype model for our G8 boards, they were a basicly Universal single board computer that could be employed in any number of tasks. it was then eventualy used as it`s prime job as a Zone Expander for Alarm Systems :)

well this was 100% binary 0`s and 1`s, there is a 3`rd state of NULL used on 74245`s etc.. as in open circuit, but that`s in no way trinary, infact I don`t know of any such method.

Binary or fuzzy logic sure, trinary, I`de be of no help at all.

I shall not, be sure :)

it`s kinda good that he thinks that way though, at the end of the day, he`ll either discover something, or learn yet another way NOT to do something :)

as I`ve said a kazillion times before "There`s no such thing as a failed experiment, Only more data" :)

Awww bless :)

well, if it`s any use, I started with a "wouldn`t it be cool if" idea, then made a few sketches on paper (back of bills and council letters etc...

it just kinda took off from there, I had to learn the stuff during that 8 months too! I didn`t instantly KNOW how to do it, it was just an idea at the time, the learning and the mathematical nightmares it lead me through were well worth it in the end :)

I can say I`ve actualy designed and a built a computer from scratch (and scrap parts).

he should persue it!

Three dimensional binary code, trinary. It’s a hell of an idea, and it’s all mine. I might use a roving quark as the third, creating a time travelling code that knows what you going to programme before you do and writes it’s self. I have to create the motherboard in two states of existence, one in a parallel universe, to avoid the predetermination paradox. Obviously.

a analogue computer may be the best place to start in that case.

voltage adders and multipliers etc...

it`s not a new idea and the principal is quite straight forwards, perhaps with the use of modern ICs it could be employed a little more practicaly than it was nearly 100 years ago :)

• 1 month later...

I don't play computer games either...As far as boring, my life consists of working, running a business, school, planning a marraige, and my fiance. I'm quite busy -- although to a lot of people, my life is probably boring. Ever sit in an accounting class? =)