Exotic Matter = Dangerous?

foofighter

Why the hell does everyone think that Tachyons are impossible? If you say that Tachyons kill a theory, then relativity is false, because it also predicts the existence of Tachyons, or at least particles with an imaginary mass.

Please show me an equation that gives such predictions.

Why the hell does everyone think that Tachyons are impossible? If you say that Tachyons kill a theory, then relativity is false, because it also predicts the existence of Tachyons, or at least particles with an imaginary mass.

Tachyons aren't in condradiction with SR, but that is not the same as being predicted by SR.

Scientists tend not to like tachyons, because if their mass squared is negative they contribute negatively to the energy of the universe. So the lowest energy state is therefore to have more (infinitely more!) of the tachyonic particles and the entire vacuum destablises. The fact that the universe exists is fairly good evidence for the non-existence of tachyons (there could be some mechanism preventing their creation, preventing the destabilisation, but it is not clear what that mechanism would be).

Okay Ben, I will; here is the; relativistic mass formula m = m0 /sqrt(1 - v2/c2)

time dilation formula t' = t /sqrt(1 - v2/c2)

There are two equation having to due with Relativity, both of which predict the existence of tachyons, because if v is greater than c, you will be taking the square root of a negative number.

• 2 weeks later...
I usually see it referred to when strength far beyond anything known is required in some thought experiment. But otherwise it is normal matter.

I believe i know what you mean. I have heard of some theoretical experiments that have to do with the string theory i think. Something about drawing energy from a vacuum of subspace within another universe. However the theory alows for the possiblity of the creation of exotic matter in an unpredictable and uncontrolable way, it was theorized that it could in all probability breach any type of a containment field as hard radiation being very deadly. Although i could be wrong:confused: i have been out of the loop so to speak on such matters......ive been on vacation. :D

Okay Ben, I will; here is the; relativistic mass formula m = m0 /sqrt(1 - v2/c2)

There are two equation having to due with Relativity, both of which predict the existence of tachyons, because if v is greater than c, you will be taking the square root of a negative number.

But mass, time and energy are real quantities. The solution for v > c is unphysical. Come up with a framework for imaginary energy and/or imaginary mass, and how we would detect these things, and we can start talking about tachyons.

Aparently you are quite confused about what ``REAL NUMBER'' means.

Plus your comments are wrong by the first postulate of special relativity, namely that things can't travel faster than the speed of light.

Plus tachyons violate Lorentz Invariance, which is the centerpiece of special relativity.

So you'll have to do better...

• 4 weeks later...
Except that you will repell that exotic matter, it will do no harm to you.

Well, depending on what you call exotic, you are half right. If we're talking about dark matter candidates, then you attract the dark matter via gravity. But that's the only type of charge that it carries, so it will just fly through your body.