Electroluminescence

Redrang604

I am trying to determine the feasibility of applying electroluminescent paint to my computer case as a mod. I have not been able to find as much as I would like about the specifics of the compounds needed nor whether or not they lend themselves to being applied easily. As I currently understand it electroluminescence requires, usually, at a minimum 4 layers. A dark colored conductive layer, a insulating layer, a phosphor layer, and a transparent conductive layer. I have not been very successful in finding places to acquire these compounds. Can anyone give me any advice in my endeavor?

I am trying to determine the feasibility of applying electroluminescent paint to my computer case as a mod. I have not been able to find as much as I would like about the specifics of the compounds needed nor whether or not they lend themselves to being applied easily. As I currently understand it electroluminescence requires, usually, at a minimum 4 layers. A dark colored conductive layer, a insulating layer, a phosphor layer, and a transparent conductive layer. I have not been very successful in finding places to acquire these compounds. Can anyone give me any advice in my endeavor?

Guess I need more definition: electroluminescence? Implies being luminous through electrical stimulation. The layered system you describe is news to me.

Many radioactive substances emit light; you could use one of them. I suggest this facetiously, of course. Still, radioactive tritium IS used to illuminate firearms sights, and possibly is still used in luminous wristwatch dials- I had one years ago. imp

imp: It's a material where you apply an electric current and it luminouses... They normally use semiconductors, LED's are a common example.... Using a semiconductor for this case is not really feasible though...

I can't find any places selling el paint, or even evidence that it exists yet, but there is always the option of using el sheeting. It's not too cheap, and it is worth noting that electroluminescent stuff slowly dims over time with use. It does not last forever, like LED's. Nor is it NEARLY as bright as LED's.

And it hurts for me to say that, as an el wire distributor. :D

-GlowWireGuy