Attracting pieces of paper UNDERWATER!

Mason R

Hey guys!

Is this possible? What I am trying to achieve is this:

I take a thin piece of cardboard, rip out a section from the middle of the cardboard and place it aside... I then take the big piece of cardboard and place it into a cup (or any kind of narrow holder), I then wish to submerge the little piece of cardboard and let it fall. Now the problem... How can I make this little piece of cardboard move to the hole on the big piece... (orientation does not matter)

Is this possible without the use of magnets/other big contraptions?

Thanks

Mason R

Here is a quick sketch of what I want

ripyb7.jpg

As you can see the ripped section of the cardboard is submerged and let go by the scientist... I then want it to travel toward and stop, at the place it was torn from originally... One other point to make is that it should not matter where the rip is on the piece of cardboard, I want the attraction to happen automatically and 100% each time if possible... All this is to be done without the use of magnets/other big contraptions. It may be a bit hard to grasp, but thats the idea! :)

ANY HELP!?

You PM'd me, very flattering, but I have not the faintest idea. Seems like something an illusionist/conjuror might try, but underneath the usual "magic cloth" to hide the trick. Something additional to the plain glass must be required.

I suspect you have achieved it, but want to see if anyone is as smart as you.

You PM'd me, very flattering, but I have not the faintest idea. Seems like something an illusionist/conjuror might try, but underneath the usual "magic cloth" to hide the trick. Something additional to the plain glass must be required.

I suspect you have achieved it, but want to see if anyone is as smart as you.

Basicaly I am trying to work something out to impress my friends, but under these strict circumstances... Also its interesting if anyone has a scientific way of achieving this...

No, I have not worked it out myself... why would I be asking!? :)

Thanks

Haha, it need not be an impressive feat... Just a mere experiment... If it could orientate itself to fit perfectly, then all the better, but it doesn't have to for my purpose!

So can I hear these ideas of yours?

Mason, I am a bit busy now and I have no much time for thinking further in this problem, let alone testing my ideas and verifying if they work.

Only concrete experiments and a lot of further adjustments and corrections can prove if they can work or not.

One of the ideas is actually a trick.

The cardboard should have a thin metallic layer capable to be attracted by a potent magnet. This metalic layer should be "sandwiched" between two layers of paper in order to conceal better the trick. ( Not sure if aluminium wrapping foil would work with magnet. Test it).

The cup should have a decorative vertical thick strip attached outside of it, in the side where you would carefully rest, internally, the layered cardboard with the hole. The strong magnet should be embedded inside this thick external decorative strip to hide the trick.

You should train yourself to make the hole in approximately the right position of the cardboard in order to match with the position of the magnet when you insert it in the cup and rest it in its “wall”.

The patch of the cardboard also should have almost the same density of the water in order to prevent it from fluctuating in the surface or rapidly dropping to the bottom due gravity, so the only prevalent remaining force acting on the patch would be the magnetic attraction of the hidden magnet positioned behind the hole.