HDTV and DVDrip

Primarygun

Discussion of illegal file copying is not permitted under the terms of the user agreement (Rule 3a). It also appears to be beyond the general scope of this board (there are plenty of piracy discussion forums you can check into). See the link below for further details, and if you think you have a valid reason for asking your questions here and within the parameters of the rule, drop me a private message and we'll see if we can figure something out.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/announcement.php?f=51&a=14

Pangloss, is it actually specifically illegal to rip a DVD to your hard drive in the US? If not there is no basis for closing this thread.

In the UK we have "fair use"-style legislation, although the companies that control media interests have very noticeably started to pretend to the public that this is not true. The law disagrees.

What struck me as suspicious about his question is that HDTV isn't a file format, it's a broadcast standard. Presumably he was looking at files not from a personal DVD ripper but from an illegal download site (perhaps an incorrect assumption on my part). So in interpreting his English as best as I could, it seemed to me that he was looking for something specific to not just copying software, but illegal transmission software, in which case it wouldn't be suitable for SFN.

But that's why I asked the guy to send me a PM if he wanted to clarify his purpose. He did that and he says he specifically wants to talk about format differences, which strikes me as perfectly acceptable. I reopened the thread and sent him a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

DVDs are typically 480p. This means that the picture scans progressively (from the top of the screen to the bottom) with a square pixel resolution of approximately 720x480 (the 480 bit is the vertical component with an implicit 16:9 aspect ratio). DVDs can also be interlaced (alternating the scanning of even and odd rows)

HDTV is typically 720p or 1080i. 1080i provides a larger frame size with a lower scan rate, and vice versa for 720p.

A third standard, 1080p, which provides high quality progressive content, is starting to become available thanks to media like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.