ok im new and i need some advice

scienceguy18

hi im new, and i hated science until 9th grade, when i had taken biology. next year i am taking chemistry and i was thinking of buying this chemistry set to become more familiar with it before school starts this year and i have no clue what i got myself into. But i was just gonna ask a few questions

1. how hard is chemistry?

2.is this the right set for me (as a beginner) http://www.hobbytron.com/ScienceChemistrySetsTH645014.html

thanks all replies are appreciated

Well, not to play advisor, but most everything that has some complexity to it is difficult at first. For instance, I know eventually I will be taking math that I shudder to think about, but then I remember that I am taking it in the first place because I need to learn it, its just a simple point that many people miss I think, that its education.

As far as science goes, well, just take your time and find something you are interested in, you might like chemistry now, but in a year you might find yourself wanting to be an engineer, its just an example, personally I have switched my major twice.

How interested in it are you willing to be?
2.is this the right set for me (as a beginner)
It looks great to me but you may want to invest the money in some specific chems and equipment, rather than getting a pre-packaged set.

Years ago I had a chemistry set and, along with a microscope, was one of my favorite memories of youth.

However, chemistry in school will be a bit more structured than what you learn with the set. Get or don't get the set but use part of the summer to go on line or to the library and read up on chemistry fundamentals. If you go into your first class a little ahead of the curve then it won't be as intimidating. Don't skip the chemistry math. It's relatively easy and really helps to understand what's actually going on. It's more fun to do the experiments if you have your equations all down easy.

If you live in a larger center go visit the college or university and walk around the science building. Don't be scared to ask someone to show you around a lab or the library. When I was a boy growing up in Montreal my friend and I used to spend lots of time just hanging out at various science departments at Mcgill university and Univeriste de Montreal and got to see do all sorts of neat stuff.

And take part in forums like this one. Whatever your level of knowledge or ignorance, there is always someone around who can discuss things of interest at your level, or preferably, just a bit above your level. If you stretch yourself a bit and go around topics which interest you, you will soak up knowledge like a sponge. :)

2.is this the right set for me (as a beginner) http://www.hobbytron.com/ScienceChemistrySetsTH645014.html

1/ depends on the effort you are willing to put in. if you don't get something, ask, either your teacher or on here. take nice and slow till you get the basics.

2/ its a pretty basic kit from the looks of it. should be fine. just make sure you take the time to understand more than 'if i put these two together they make pretty colours' and you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...