physics questions

paulo1913

warning everything in the post is grossly over simplified and is based on my guess as to what level of physics the OP is working at.

why are alpha and beta particles deflected in opposite directions in a magnetic field?
An alpha particle is two neutrons and two protons, a beta particle is an electron. Consider what charge neutrons, protons and electrons have, and you should have your answer.

are x-rays most similar to alpha, beta or gamma rays?
x-ray α-particle β-particle γ-ray

Sometimes, the really obvious answer is the right one.

x-ray ?-particle ?-particle ?-ray

Sometimes, the really obvious answer is the right one.

Except that they are sometimes called [math]\beta[/math]-rays.

———

the tree already mentioned what alphas and betas are. What are gammas, and what are x-rays?

• 2 weeks later...

well........obviously electro magnetic radiation aint gonna deflect in a mag field. Only particles with charge would deflect..........regardless of whether you call it a ray or beam or particles or whatever.

You know that link goes to a 404?

Perhaps you should stop spamming our forum with it.

i'm sorry if i spammed your site with that like. it actually was my blog. it was down for about 30 mins that's why you got 404. i have science related stuff there, that's why i added it there. there was no intention of spamming your site. again sorry if i did so.

If you are responding to our members' questions by directing them to a blog which has absolutely no content that relates to their problems, then yes - you are clearly spamming.

VBulletin allows you to add a homepage address to your profile, which is entirely adequate. We are not a free advertising service.