where can I find fingernail sized hydraulic equipment

Killa Klown

Well, from my experience and as a 3rd year student you would have to look at this problem in a better way, and define it more clearly.

For one, any physical system has upper and lower limits to its ability to convert energy, like here, electrical to mechanical.

A DC/AC motor would not have that much power, for the size you have specified, to crush a metal can. And a hydraulic system of that size will firstly need to be really strong to handle that much pressure, secondly must have a machine which can supply that much pressure!

However if you notice, there are other methods to make an exoskeleton, we here ourselves are working on Smart Memory Alloys to be used as muscles. Look it up online and restate, redefineyour ultimate goal.

I'm trying to construct a glove that can us miniture hydraulic machinery (on the retractable part of the fingers) to crush anything in its crushing power. To construct this hand I'm going to need hydraulic machinery small enough to bend 1/3 of my finger on every finger.

I do understand what you are saying, but thats not how you define the requirments!

What about power required to crush the object and the power source?

Did you approximately calculate whats your upper limit, do you want to crush titanium? or just Tin cans?

Whats the best you could find online on hydraulic companies and what do they offer in different sizes?

Are there any universities which are researching on hydraulic joints and have any of them found a way to control small hydraulic machines?

What pressure tank/punp will you be using?

We cannot tell what you need unless you tell whats your financial limits are. How much you willing to spend?

Answer some of these and then I'll do my best. :)

I just started this project so I'm kind of fresh on some of this but I'll do my best.

If possible I plan to use a Car battery for my power source to a hydraulic motor

I plan to crush anything in its power depending on how expensive I can make it and how powerful it can possibly get.

The best I could find online on hydraulic companies was hydraulic system the size of an arm.

There are some projects that probably do use this technology for robotic machinery but I haven't really looked any of them up, yet.

I'm not to sure but I believe I'm going to use a gear pump.

My financial limits are around $250 to $500.

you only need one cylinder for the last two joints on every finger since they're controlled by the same muscle.

where the finger meets the hand, you'll need a fair amount of force. that makes, to my count, eleven cylinders. three for the thumb since each joint can articulate independantly and two for each finger.

the cylinders are going to be large. you can't avoid that, my suggestion is put the cylinders around your arm and run cables down to your fingers.

(then think about redundance)

you also need to think about the controll mechanism and valving. (use pneumatic, it's smaller)

a word of warning, if you help your muscles, you'll need to help your bones. a hydraulic system isn't a nice thing to have tear you fingers off individually.

you'll need a frame to mount the cylinders on that can only go through the motion your hand can and can handle all the force the hydraulics can muster.

Yeah I forgot to mention that part. I also planned to place the hydraulic system on to a Glove Like 3D rectangular polygon like shape which is a series of strong metal wires (as in they are as unbendable as possible), with springs small springs on the side of the hand with the finger prints (to help my joint contract with the hydraulic equipment).

You are going to have huge pressure at the finger pistons if you want to stick to that sort of size. I would say you might also want goggles and, a protective layer between your skin and the cylinders/lines e.t.c. for the same reason. A leak could easily push oil through your skin. The hydraulic lines are going to be a problem. You are looking at all custom machining I expect. Local engineering shop would be the best place to go. I don't see you having enough cash, unless you find a friendly bunch who will help you at their expense. Have you tried to do this with a tool like pipe grips first. Then you could work backwards on the leverage used to get an idea of the force required with short fingers and leverage.

use copper tubing like for hot water plumbing as the frame work, if you can find one to fit over your finger, you can use a type of rivet as hinges and solder cable mounts to it. it's strong, simple to make and extremely rigid.

you could also line the inside with a resistive foam of sorts to measure the pressure your finger exerts on the inside of the tube to electrically control the cylinders.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part too. For activating and controling the cylinders I planned too make a system of wires and buttons. What I mean is that I will have 2 very small buttons on the tips of my fingers inside the glove, when I want to close my fist with the hydraulic power I will press the button on the finger print side of my hand, and when I want to open the fist I will press the buttons on the nail side of my hand. Each finger will have it's own buttons, adding up to a total of 20 buttons.

• 1 month later...

A background in physics, mechanics, metal working, and engineering is a must. Perhaps design skills would be in order. 2008, though, huh? I can see it with your budget, but I don't know your educational background. What background do you have? I think if you could find some local roboticists and mechanics, they might be able to give you some pointers. Perhaps you could walk into an engineering place, if you have one, and see if someone can throw out ideas for local resources. A knowledge of metallurgy an metalworking is good, because you can dumpster dive and build stuff from a junkyard. I don't know your background, though. I mean, sometimes people can get $12 USD just pulling power supplies out of certain things.