hypertension cause ,treatment drugs, side effects

murulidhara

I want to know causes for hypertension. Is it heriditory? What are the symptoms? There is a belief those with hypertension will get angry?

What are the common drugs used to control hypertension? In specific I want to know more about alpha blasters and beta blasters? Can both of them taken simultaneously?

Does hypertension leads to renal disorder or otherwise?

Thanks in advance

Eating too much salt is a cause. It is connected to diabetes, which is hereditary. I'm not sure if I ever had it (type II), but if I did, it was probably helping make me angry. If that is the case, it is a very good idea to start getting into shape. Just start running until your legs fall off and eat healthy, avoid salt, sugar, and lose weight, if that is an issue. Once you do that, things just start working themselves out.

Couldn't tell you anything about the drugs. I try to take as few drugs as possible. I have read that if you put yourself through a phase for a few weeks where you eat less than 2.5 grams of salt per day, then your body will notice an immediate improvement. Lately, the USDA came out with new recommendations that everybody should keep their salt down that low all of the time, which is a very difficult thing to do in America. It is very easy to eat 4 grams of salt in one sitting at many restaurants in America.

The three most common treatments for high blood pressure are the thiazide diuretics (e.g. bendroflurazide), beta blockers (e.g. atenolol) and ACE inhibitors (e.g. enalapril). The drugs can be taken together as they work by different mechanisms.

I'm guessing 'beta blasters' you mean beta blockers and that by 'alpha blasters' you mean anti-hypertensitves that target alpha adrenoreceptors. Alpha blockers include alpha 1 adrenoreceptor antagonists (e.g. prazosin) but they are old drugs that are very rarely prescribed now and I doubt that you'd be able to take alpha and beta blockers simultaneously.

Hypertension can have hereditary causes such as familal hypercholesterolaemia but it is lifestyle factors that are most important. I doubt you can say that having hypertention doesn't cause you to become angry or stressed. I personally would argue that people that are more 'stressed' are more likely to smoke, drink excessive cups of coffee and do more negative things that may cause hypertention but I don't believe that there is a causal link between stress/anger and hypertention.

Hypertention is linked with a lot of diseases such as probably stroke, heart attack but chronic hypertention can also lead to renal failure.

The three most common treatments for high blood pressure are the thiazide diuretics (e.g. bendroflurazide), beta blockers (e.g. atenolol) and ACE inhibitors (e.g. enalapril). The drugs can be taken together as they work by different mechanisms.

I'm guessing 'beta blasters' you mean beta blockers and that by 'alpha blasters' you mean anti-hypertensitves that target alpha adrenoreceptors. Alpha blockers include alpha 1 adrenoreceptor antagonists (e.g. prazosin) but they are old drugs that are very rarely prescribed now and I doubt that you'd be able to take alpha and beta blockers simultaneously.

Hypertension can have hereditary causes such as familal hypercholesterolaemia but it is lifestyle factors that are most important. I doubt you can say that having hypertention doesn't cause you to become angry or stressed. I personally would argue that people that are more 'stressed' are more likely to smoke, drink excessive cups of coffee and do more negative things that may cause hypertention but I don't believe that there is a causal link between stress/anger and hypertention.

Hypertention is linked with a lot of diseases such as probably stroke, heart attack but chronic hypertention can also lead to renal failure.

Don't forget the calcium channel blockers, also for the OP there are two types of hypertension essential and secondary. If you use the keyphrase "causes of hypertension" in google it will lead you to several peer reviewed sites on the topic.

I want to know causes for hypertension. Is it heriditory? What are the symptoms? There is a belief those with hypertension will get angry?
There is that belief, but it's an incorrect stereotype. Hypertension doesn't make people angry. However, anger increases blood pressure and many people with hypertension are type A personalities (i.e. tend to be impatient, always in a hurry, tend to get frustrated quickly and so-on). These personality traits are implicated in hypertension.

Does hypertension leads to renal disorder or otherwise?
Yes. The kidneys are very sensitive to blood pressure. It's what they depend on to work correctly. Chronic hypertension can damage the kidneys and is a major cause of end-stage renal failure.

Ninety percent of hypertension doesn't have an underlying cause, and is often inherited in a polygenic pattern.

The other 10% have an underlying pathology such as kidney disease, either parenchymal or renovascular, or hormonal excesses such as Cushing's or phaeochromocytoma. These may be inherited occasionally, but are much more likely to be acquired.

The National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) in the UK recommends starting treatment with an ACE inhibitor such as perindopril in people below 55, and with a calcium channel blocker such as amlodipine for those above 55.

If hypertension is not controlled on monotherapy, they recommend adding the other agent. A diuretic can be used as a second or third agent.

Beta blockers are no longer recommended for hypertension, unless they are being used concurrently for another indication such as angina. Data from a recent trial called ASCOT show that they are clearly inferior to the first three agents.

The National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) in the UK recommends starting treatment with an ACE inhibitor such as perindopril in people below 55, and with a calcium channel blocker such as amlodipine for those above 55.

i always thought diuretics were first line treatment for hypertention...

and what was so bad about beta blockers that cause them to stop prescribing them for hypertention?...

Eleven percent higher mortality, 23% higher incidence of fatal and non fatal strokes and 24% higher incidence of cardiovascular death in patients who took beta-blockers, compared with those who took either a Ca-channel blocker or ACE inhibitor.

The National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) in the UK recommends starting treatment with an ACE inhibitor such as perindopril in people below 55' date=' and with a calcium channel blocker such as amlodipine for those above 55.

If hypertension is not controlled on monotherapy, they recommend adding the other agent. A diuretic can be used as a second or third agent.[/quote']

i always thought diuretics were first line treatment for hypertention...

and what was so bad about beta blockers that cause them to stopped prescribing them for hypertention?...

As far as I know, in the US, most patients are started with a thiazide diuretic as first line of treatment for stage 1 (140-159 / 90-99) primary hypertension. This is in accordance with the JNC7's recommendations. Combination therapy is considered when a thiazide alone fails lower the BP to the desired level. Stage 2 primary hypertension is usually managed initially with 2-drug combination therapy (thiazide + ACE, or thiazide + ARB). Like Dhondy said, B-blockers are not really used unless there is a compelling indication.

B-blockers are not really used unless there is a compelling indication.

what about 'anxiety' is that a compelling indication :eyebrow:... i've seen GPs give propranolol for daft reasons like stop getting stressed during a driving test and this made me think they were pretty harmless...

i've seen GPs give propranolol for daft reasons like stop getting stressed during a driving test and this made me think they were pretty harmless...
Heh, if the person was just nervous, that's one thing, but it may be that the person had severe anxiety tremors -- which would be an indication for propranolol. I think I may need some during my surgery rotation, hah!

• 4 weeks later...

In most people, the specific cause or causes of high blood pressure are not known. This is called primary or essential hypertension. In other people, high blood pressure is the result of another medical problem or medicine. When the cause of high blood pressure is known, this is called secondary high blood pressure or secondary hypertension.

If a person is diagnosed with high blood pressure, it doesn't mean that he or she is "too nervous," overanxious, or obsessive. This is a popular myth. High blood pressure is not nervous tension. In fact, many people who are perfectly calm have high blood pressure.

In addition to lifestyle changes, some people need blood pressure medication to improve their condition. There are many varieties of blood pressure medication; each one works in a slightly different way. People react to medication in different ways, so it's possible that your healthcare provider will need to try a few different types of blood pressure medication to find the one that's best for you.

Hypertension can cause heart attack, stroke or kidney failure

• 4 weeks later...

My friend, Certain forms of experimental hypertension may be induced in animals by increasing salt intake with or without the administration of mineralocorticoids or reduction of renal mass. It is easier to produce salt-induced hypertension in young rats than in adult rats. Dahl demonstrated variability in the response to salt loading in normal rats and by inbreeding was able to develop two strains, one of which was sensitive to the hypertensinogenic effects of salt, the other of which was not sensitive to salt. Cross-transplantation experiments have shown the importance of the kidney in this form of experimental hypertension.