what and when do spiders eat

Comandante

a few questions regarding spiders in general; first of all, how long can they survive without any food? i know they can eat their own protein that they usually use to build webs... more on this would be helpful.

secondly, what are some of the insects that spiders in general will tend to avoid eating?

also, do they require water and in what amounts?

Here in Florida, the introduced Huntsmen spider (Heteropoda venatoria) is considered beneficial in homes. They do not spin webs, but use their webbing for constructing flat, round egg cases which the female carries protectively every where she goes. They are active both day and night, depending on the lack of human activity around them. If you host one or more in your home, you'll never have cockroaches, silverfish or other insect 'visitors'. As with all spiders in general; they are shy, can survive long periods between meals and obtain water from eating their prey.

Interesting. So, if I let this one in my house, what is it going to do? Move from one room to another on ceilings only or? What if it comes down from the ceiling and I accidentally kill it or wound it? Will it attempt to randomly bite people? Will it come onto my face while I sleep at night?

Most likely you'll never even see it, unless your interiors are very minimally furnished. Yes, they will move across ceilings, but mostly walls and floors, yet they perfer to remain hidden. Their eyes are very sensitive to movement and their bodies detect the faintest amonut of vibrations and heat, so naturally they would avoid big ol' humans, even sleeping ones. I can virtually guarantee that you'll never be bitten.

• 11 months later...

Your questions are too broad and too generalized. There are over a hundred families of spiders, each with dozens or hundreds of genera each with dozens or hundreds of species. If you do want to take care of the particular one you've captured try feeding it a cricket or roach.

How long can they go without food? I have had one or two of my tarantulas go more than 6 months without eating. Sometimes they just refuse to eat during the short days of winter or on approach to a molt.

As for water, I have an Usumbara from Tanzania that never drinks, ever. I guess she gets the fluid she needs from her food but she never goes anywhere near a water dish I keep in her habitat. OTOH, my theraphosa leblondi goes through about 2 ounces a day. Sometimes she attacks the stream of water when I fill her dish. She is a thirsty glutton. This is in addition to the fact that she eats a mouse a week so she gets plenty of moisture from her food as well.

At any rate, put the spider in a small aquarium with some ground cover, a small water dish with a small sponge in it and some type of hiding place it can go into to get out of the light. They are fascinating pets for observation but keep it at that, taking them out and playing with them stresses them out. Treat it as you would a pet fish.