asthma treatment

andrug

Hello everyone!

I read at this place http://www.amateur-job.com/medic/

about astma treatment with such drugs as Antihistamines, Cromolyn sodium, Nasal steroid sprays. Can you tell me how good is this staff?

The more I've learned about asthma, the less I understand it. Are you asking about drugs because you need treatment? I personally had severe breathing problems, suddenly and with no warning, which required medical help and drugs. Several diagnoses were made; they were wrong. I used broncho-dilators with short term relief. The last diagnosis by a doctor was emphysema. After about 1 year, the breathing difficulty went away, and has been absent 2 tears now.

As I understand it, the airways of the lungs are surrounded my muscle tissues which constrict at times to bring cilia closer together to make foreign material removal more efficient. However, this narrowing of the passages can become severe enough to make breathing very difficult. The process is medically called "bronchospasm". Bronchodilator drugs relax the airways, allowing more air flow with less effort. This type of respiratory problem is different from that in which lung tissues have been permanently damaged, such as by smoking.

To answer your question partially, I do not favor the drugs which are steroids. Further, nasal sprays often cause a condition known as "paradoxical rebound" in which the drug CAUSES or enhances the condition which it is supposed to alleviate. imp

Hello everyone!

I read at this place http://www.amateur-job.com/medic/

about astma treatment with such drugs as Antihistamines, Cromolyn sodium, Nasal steroid sprays. Can you tell me how good is this staff?

1) Asthma is charaterised by bronchoconstriction and inflammation.

2) Typical treatment for asthma is a bronchodilator (beta 2 adrenoreceptor agonist) taken when you have symptoms of asthma. This causes bronochodilation. A steroid inhaler is taken regularly and has an anti-inflammatory effect to prevent inflammtion. These drugs are very good, which is why they are given to vertually everyone with asthma.

3) Sodium cromoglycate (which you are calling 'cromolyn sodium') is an anti-allergy drug and it is rarely prescribed. I have only ever seen it being prescribed to young children.

4) Anti-histamines are NOT used to treat asthma. Anti-histamines do not work for asthma but they are used to treat other allergies such as hayfever and anaphylatic shock.

5) Newer drugs such as Leukotriene receptor antagonists are being produced to treat asthma.

Hope that helps.

To answer your question partially, I do not favor the drugs which are steroids. Further, nasal sprays often cause a condition known as "paradoxical rebound" in which the drug CAUSES or enhances the condition which it is supposed to alleviate. imp

Picking out one very rare side effect is not a good reason not to favour a drug. In any case, all the asthma medication have side effects and none of them are perfect but it is much better that than being unable to breath and dying of an asthma attack.

I do not favor the drugs which are steroids. Further, nasal sprays often cause a condition known as "paradoxical rebound" in which the drug CAUSES or enhances the condition which it is supposed to alleviate. imp

That depends on the agent you are using through the nasal passage, the steroidal compounds don't have that profile.

That depends on the agent you are using through the nasal passage, the steroidal compounds don't have that profile.

Sorry, I guess the two sentences should have been separated to avoid the impression that steroidals are related to paradoxical rebound.

In any event, my research on the topic of asthma indicates that it rarely causes death. Nonetheless, when I myself could not breathe due to bronchospasm, I considered the possibility of dying; it felt as though I were drowning.

At the time I was taking a beta blocker drug to control hypertension, and learned such drugs should not be used by asthmatics. My doctor denied the connection. I continued the beta blocker, the respiratory problems eventually subsided by themselves, and the various diagnoses several doctors had offered proved false. It was probably aspergillosis or a similar fungus-caused infection. imp

yep, ashtmatics shouldn't take beta blockers because blocking beta 2 adrenoreceptors causes bronchoconstriction... i can't really believe that there's any doctor that don't know that... then again asthmatics shouldn't take NSAIDs either because they cause bronchoconstriction but you don't see anything on over the counter medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen about this...

Why die wondering?

Ask your consultant for a lung function test with reversibility. While you are waiting for it, get a peak flow meter, and record your reading several times a day. See if you are a "morning dipper". That's asthma.

yep, ashtmatics shouldn't take beta blockers because blocking beta 2 adrenoreceptors causes bronchoconstriction... i can't really believe that there's any doctor that don't know that... then again asthmatics shouldn't take NSAIDs either because they cause bronchoconstriction but you don't see anything on over the counter medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen about this...

Are the terms bronchoconstriction and bronchospasm used loosely as both having the same meaning, or is perhaps the latter more related to muscular constriction of airways resulting from allergic reaction, and the former more closely connected with a blockage of airways from physiological damage or excessive foreign matter/mucous? imp