Level of mathematics...

A Fool

I just starting to get into the stage of university physics that deals with quantum mechanics and i was curious about what types of mathematics are most prevalent in an introdutory course. I supose i know the math already due to the fact that i have the prerequisites. It would help me a great deal though if somepersons could tell me if there is any other math that would also be helpful, what math is mostly used so i don't get caught off guard, or a website where i can start early on quantum mechanics itself.

thank you

A Fool

I just starting to get into the stage of university physics that deals with quantum mechanics and i was curious about what types of mathematics are most prevalent in an introdutory course. I supose i know the math already due to the fact that i have the prerequisites. It would help me a great deal though if somepersons could tell me if there is any other math that would also be helpful, what math is mostly used so i don't get caught off guard, or a website where i can start early on quantum mechanics itself.

thank you

A Fool

Depending on the level but the basic mathematics required would be linear algebra (Hilbert space, matrix theory etc.), differential equation (ODE, PDE), calculus of variation etc. You should just grab a few QM texts from your University library.

I've just completed a first year course in Quantum mechanics(more of an introductory course I would say), and I think you can get by just fine with a basic knowledge of mathematics, differentiation, integration and already with a familiarity with some of the conservatin laws of mechanics. The abillity to solve ODEs, or at least understand how the solutions are obtained and why they make sense was sufficient for me(though personally I prefer solving them). Quantum mechanics does involve PDEs too though, especially the time dependent situations so a knowledge of that will be required too as you get more advanced.

Also I agree with the comment about linear algebra, though personally I have not had to use it yet. I think the early quantum theory is not too hard to understand as long as you're comfortable with a little calculus and manipulation of equations. The first few things learned are just the basic principles. A little pre-existing knowledge of wave physics may help a bit too.

Once you have the basics sorted out, I would recommend Quantum Mechanics by Alastair Rae. Also a decent website, I would not recommend to learn from but which can be useful as a reference to clear up doubts is hyperphysics. Just search for it in whatever engine you prefer, you'll find it:).

My fist year QM course the maths was pretty basic. Second one was understanding the solutions to ODE's, although now matrix algebra and solving PDE's is a good knowledge to have... Also being able to solve complicated integrals for perturbation theory is always very useful, but you wont be doing that yet.

I'd also recommend Quantum Mechanics by Alastair I M Rae, a really really great book!