water purifiers

murulidhara

Dear sir,

I have a question with domestic water purifiers. There are different types of water purifiers

1. Use candles for filtering

2. Use UV light

3. Combination of both.

4. Reverse osmosis.

Manufactures recommend reverse osmosis based is the best. I think in RO process all minerals are removes. Is it advisible for drinking. If not. Which is the best. Doctors advice boiled water is the best. Pl guide me.

Thanks

Murulidhara

reverse osmosis get rid of most things including minerals. UV light will destroy bacteria but can leave behind poisons and toxins. i have never heard of using candles for filtering.

boiling will again destroy bacteria but can leave behind some nastiness.

i'd go for reverse osmosis given a choice.

RO is great, but it's not cheap and it wastes some water. If all you need to do is kill the bugs in reasonably clean water to make it safe to drink then boiling it is the simplest option. Hard UV in the presence of air will degrade many toxins but the water needs to be filtered to make it perfectly clear first.

BTW, filter candles are not the same as lighting candles.

Domestic water purifying depends on the contaminants.

If bacteria, virus, microorganisms are the ones to get rid of, several steps are convenient, as filtering, boiling, and ultraviolet, being the most important action of all, to discard the filter as soon as possible, immediately after done with the batch.

Filters are very dangerous stuff.

For minerals, filtering and reverse osmosis should work.

For both, i would go with distillation and chlorination.

Miguel