accelerating an object in space with solar wind

markusariliu

Is it posable to use some type of sail, as so many science fiction books have invisioned, to propell an object through space away from a star?

It seems possable since our atmosphere is blown egg-shaped by it, but I am not sure so I came to ask.

Is it posable to use some type of sail, as so many science fiction books have invisioned, to propell an object through space away from a star?

It seems possable since our atmosphere is blown egg-shaped by it, but I am not sure so I came to ask.

I am not sure but I think if we did not have a magnetic field solar winds will eventually destroy or remove our atmosphere. I think its the same reason we get auroras, in that the magnetic lines in the field conduct particles, I don’t know if they have anything in common with the van allen belts, if I spelled that right. So it would seem that like you stated the solar winds have some composition that can interact and so on, though I don’t know if you would want to spend a great deal of time in them.

• 1 month later...

quite a few satellites had nuclear reactors, they normally used a simmering plutonium core and the seebeck effect, a chunky thermopile.

to create a big enough magnetic feild doesn't require much power, i seem to recall it being around 50W, much less than communication satellites

quite a few satellites had nuclear reactors, they normally used a simmering plutonium core and the seebeck effect, a chunky thermopile.

radiothermal generators(RTG's) are not nuclear reactors. nuclear reactors work with fission RTG's rely on radioactive decay.

any sources for the 50W for a decent sized solar sail?

radiothermal generators(RTG's) are not nuclear reactors. nuclear reactors work with fission RTG's rely on radioactive decay.

any sources for the 50W for a decent sized solar sail?

I think 50W was for generating a magnetic field, but then your thrust should be related to the power that you generate. One attraction of the solar sail is that the energy comes from the sun.