Identifying Calories In Food

I am not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but anyhow I got a question.

How do you identify the amount of calories in foods that are not necessarily canned, but rather cooked at home or bought from a restaurant?

Do you need a really accurate answer in wghich case you need to do some research on calorimetry or do you just need a good enough answer to help with losing weight?

If it's the latter then there are tables of data like this one http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/500/5049/Food.aspx

(chosen randomly from a google search; I don't know if it's any good) that you can look up.

you could use a calorimeter, because it would measure calories in the food that humans can digest. Plants contain a lot of cellulose, but people can't digest this, so if you were to measure your food, in terms of energy, you have to make sure you only measure usable calories.

It's not exactly about losing wait or getting an accurate measurement of how much calories are found in food.

I'm doing a biochemistry paper where I have to get a list of foods I eat for 7 days, and I have to indicate how much calories do those foods contain + the number of cups (fists) I'm eating.. And some other stuff too.

For example, let's say I ate grilled salmon today and it is 4 fists. How many calories does salmon contain (per one cup)?