Spheres, how many sides??

-Demosthenes-

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets see---infinte I'd say---seeing how a sphere is composed of an inf. amount of inf. small corners---but that just might be perception---hmmmm---I could see how its none---but that would mean also mean a cone has one side---how many sides does a cone have anyways?---Oh well---

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

How many sides does a shpere have? One or infinite?

2--An inside and an outside. :D

Seriously, there's more to that answer than a joke, because in 3D analytic geometry, we aren't so much interested in the number of sides of a polygon, or the limit in which an n-gon becomes a circle, as we are in the number of ways in which a surface is orientable. In the case of the sphere, we can orient it in 2 ways. One in which the normal vectors point outwards, and another in which they point inwards.

Tom said in post #33 :

2--An inside and an outside. :D

Seriously, there's more to that answer than a joke, because in 3D analytic geometry, we aren't so much interested in the number of sides of a polygon, or the limit in which an n-gon becomes a circle, as we are in the number of ways in which a surface is orientable. In the case of the sphere, we can orient it in 2 ways. One in which the normal vectors point outwards, and another in which they point inwards.

I guess you were right http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57835.html

I googled it.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MoebiusStrip.html

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/surfaces/mobius/

http://www.chessvariants.com/shape.dir/x_moeb.html

Wow, sorry if this post doesn't seem relevant to u but some one said something about a Moebius Strip. Shame never heard of it before :-( . I mean we all must have made this like a billion times before. Try making a Moebius Strip and cut it along the middle line. It's interesting. Try the links. Absolutely no idea about the math though.

Don't quite see how a sphere can have infinite number of surfaces. And the concept of having zero surfaces is somewhat confusing too. I mean I see a sphere with two surfaces only.

Sayonara said in post 7 :

A side is an extrusion between two vertices.

A sphere has no vertices.

Therefore: Zero.

atinymonkey said in post # :

Depends on your definition of a side. Oh look, we are in a conversation loop. How fun.

That's because people keep posting to this thread without reading what has gone before, and some of them are reading it all but not too closely.

• 1 month later...

or, some people believe that a circle is simply a polygon of infinite sides, so a sphere being the three dimensional representation of a circle could be a polygon of infinite sides and vertices. but i dont really care, so long as it still works the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the mathematical definition of a sphere was "a continuous closed surface each part of which is equidistant from a central point".

If one is to ascribe infinite sides to a sphere, why not correct people who claim a cube has 6 sides and tell them that it is infinite? It seems a bit random to me.

Like I said to Iglak' date=' surely that would not be a sphere, but an infinitely tightly-packed mesh?

(edit - I am of course assuming infinite sides == infinite boundaries)[/quote']

ok . i may be wrong . a sphere can't have infinite sides. cos infinte isnt a real number. its like saying something has 3+2i sides.

but on the sphere being a limiting form of a regular poly-oid.

while each of the members of the set . is a mesh like u said. the limit isn't

take for example xn=1/n.

the limit of 1/n as n gets large is 0 but 0 isnt in the set of {xn:n belongs to N}

• 2 weeks later...

There should just be another word in the english language that is capable to describe a shere without having to wonder how many sides it has.

Since, if we dont get a genious around here well never figure out the answer that is 100% right.

There should just be another word in the english language that is capable to describe a shere without having to wonder how many sides it has.

Since' date=' if we dont get a genious around here well never figure out the answer that is 100% right.[/quote']

"Spherical" (see reply #42) does the job perfectly well, doesn't it?