Which robot would you choose?

Phi for All

OK, here's the deal: You've just won the grand prize in a contest, a robot that will take over one set of household chores and perform them flawlessly. When the robot is not performing it's duty it hides away and takes up no space. The robot will function at no cost to you for the rest of your life.

You have to choose what set of chores the robot will take over. The choices are very strict since the robot needs to be designed specifically for a limited skillset. The choices are:

Gardener: Maintains your current exterior landscaping, including lawnmowing, watering, weeding, fertilizing and trimming. Will maintain your vegetable garden but won't harvest. Bags cut grass but doesn't take it out for trash collection.

Launderer: Washes, dries, folds, presses and mends clothing placed in its hamper. Doesn't pick them up off the floor for you. It can't create clothing. Doesn't put clothing away.

Cook: Prepares any meals you program it for in any quantity you need. It will prepare each meal to the taste of each individual in the house (yes, the kids can have mac & cheese while you have fillet mignon). You still have to buy the ingredients it will use. It puts away any ingredients it uses but doesn't do dishes or clean up the stove/oven.

Dishwasher: Collects all used dinnerware (read this as anything you drink from or eat off of) from around the house, cleans it and places it back in the appropriate cupboard or cabinet.

Maid: Dusts, cleans, sanitizes and vacuums the whole house, including bathrooms stovetop, oven and kitchen counters. Doesn't do windows, dishes or touch clothing.

Window-washer: Keeps every window clean every minute of the day. Your view outdoors is constantly spotless.

Don't try to cheat the question or combine skillsets. I'm basically looking for what routine chores you would most like NOT to do anymore, and why.

i'd pick the launderer bot.

reasons:

-i hate ironing

-thats it.

i wouldn't pick the gardner because i don't mind cutting the grass because its outside and doesn't really need to be done too often.

definitely wouldn't pick the cook because its just like chemistry and i like to have my food 'just so' and i also like experimenting when i'm cooking.

wouldn't pick the dishwasher as it would force me to think about what i'm cooking an avoid really bad things

as for the maid, well, my room may appear messy but its actually in a very very presice order that only i know. plus i occasionally have tidying moods. probably OCD or something. and theres nothing wrong with letting the house get messy every now and again.

as for washing windows, thats what supersoaker 3000's are for.

Launderer or dishwasher, these are fairly simple tasks and there aren't that many ways of going about them, so it might as well be an automated process.

Other things give me something to be variably obsessive about.

Probably dishwasher, though maid would also be tempting. I use a lot of dishes, and cooking and eating would be more enjoyable if I could just ignore them. Gardener is out because I don't have an outdoors (and if I did I would prefer it wild, anyway), cook is out because I love to cook, and launderer is out just because I never found that a particularly bothersome task.

the Garden one, I have over 500sqr metres of land and I`m not in the best of health due to illness, my wife and I cover all the domestic stuff anyway, it`s the Land that`s becoming a problem for me now.

I would have to take over the Fertiliser part or at least program it to MY specifications.

where do I sign?

I would have to choose the maid. Though I'm fine with "clean enough" normally, it's the set of chores that takes up the most time when we buckle down and do it. And it pays dividends since we spend the most time just "living" in the house so we get to have it clean all the time.

The garden one. Its tiring watching her do the gardens. >:D
LOL. This brings up a good point. Would your housemates choose differently? My wife would probably choose the dishwasher, not because it would save her time but because dishes are my job and the robot would stay on top of things better. :embarass:

And another could search eBay for those Teletubby DVDs you enjoy so much... :eyebrow:
You mean you lost the ones you borrowed?! My daughter will be crushed!

Did you ever figure out if your blow-up Teletubby "companion" was anatomically accurate? I heard you paid a bundle for that thing.

Oh, crap!! Does your mom read these posts?! Sorry! :doh:

Great idea! And for the other 23 hours a day he could check the real estate ads for you so you can move out of your parent's house! >:D
Ship the new keyboard to my apartment, thanks.

I'd pick the launderer. I hate, and I mean hate, doing laundry.

I would pick maid! As my two men at home are so messy:-) : My 15months old son loves having all his toys on the floor and my BIGGER SON (my husband:-p ) has the same excuse as insane-alien for his messy room >:D (an elephant gets lost in his room). and I don't mind doing the rest.

cheers