Drug Store Alcohol

imp

Why is isopropyl alcohol so widely sold and used rather than propyl alcohol? It would seem to me that the isomeric form would be more difficult to make, and therefore more costly.

Or, is the common drug store stuff actually a mixture of the two? Of course, the ingredients listing would not reveal that. imp

• 3 months later...

From Wikipedia:

"Isopropyl alcohol is produced by combining water and propylene.[1] There are two processes for achieving this: indirect hydration (sulfuric acid process) and direct hydration. The former process, which can use low quality propylene, predominates in the USA while the latter process, which requires high-purity propylene, is more commonly used in Europe. These processes give predominantely isopropyl alcohol rather than propan-1-ol because the addition of water (or sulfuric acid) to propylene follows Markovnikov's rule."

• 2 months later...
Propylene (Propene)

H H H
| | |
C=C-C-H
|   |
H   H    

The number 2 carbon. =C- <---- 4 bonds. 3 to other carbons. 1 Hydrogen.

BTW, that sounded like you were being condescending. If so, don't. If not, I apologize for thinking so.

just use [ code ] [ /code ] tags, which will preserve the spaces and make all characters the same size.

And that's why I was being condescending.

well DON`T!

we`re civilised Chemists here, there is No need for any Gruntish attitude, we may discuss things as Civilised people!

after all Chemistry is the Father of All Science :cool:

we still need to set an Example!