Fun Experiments

rigadin

I love doing experiments myself but I can't think of many

Can you give me some examples!!

Is there any website where I can find different experiments.

Thanks

As a kid with a chemistry set, I discovered that sodium nitrite and sulfur when mixed are easily ignited to burn with a beautiful yellowish-orange color.

imp

sulphur emits a blue flame when burnt (and becomes a red liquid, good for tricking teachers, ahh sir I've cut myself) I think you may have been burning sodium as oppose to sodium nitrate, as under the old flame test sodium burns a vibrant yellowey orange... as oppose to sodium nitrate which is un-flamable

NitrIte and NitrAte of sodium are Both oxidizers, Sulpher is a Reductor. they Will react.

YT, while I'm thinking of it, (old age dementia, you know), many pyrotechnic mixtures require a bit of sulfur to enable the mixture to take fire from the "spit" of a black powder fuse. One that comes to mind is the commonly used potassium perchlorate-aluminum mix; without a dash of sulfur, it's very difficult to initiate.

How does the presence of sulfur allow the reaction to begin so much more easily? imp

• 4 weeks later...

um, try using fruits as source of electricity or using mahogany leaf extract as molluscicide<did i spell it right?> well, the extract works for golden kuhol and snails..i don't know what it still does

a few fun things

1 youll need gel caps calcium carbide liquid soap, and water for this

fill 1 gel cap with calcium carbide(aka bangsite i belive) set that aside, then make a LAYER of soap on top of the water then place the gel cap in the water and watch all the bubbles form, then if you really want you can make a loud bang by "safely" trowing a match into the bubbles

OR

grind up some KNO3 and sugar (2-1) and watch all the lilac flames and smoke pour out upon ignition, if its contained well enough this can be use in small cannons

OR

you could make a hails rocket which use inline fins which are curved to spin the rocket giving it stabillity

• 2 months later...

This is a good expirement if you have the materials

It’s fairly simple

Have a mixture of potassium iodide mixed with water. Then pour a mixture of lead nitrate and water. It makes this pretty yummy mixture of yellow lead iodide, it looks like lemon juice and makes you want to drink it soo bad – DO NOT DRINK – TOXIC.

and if you heat it and cool it it forms these sparkling crystals that float in the lead iodide