Digital Camera Advice (help needed)

YT2095

a good friend of mine asked this:

I guess this is a 'technology' question...

I'm ready to upgrade my Canon Elph 2.0 and am looking at the new point and shoot 10 megapixel cameras. They're all similar in price and features. My question is... Does anyone know if there is an appreciable difference in quality or optics. I am not a professional photographer' date=' but I know that with some products one can spend a few extra bucks to enter into a whole new world of quality and satisfaction. Is there a 'quality' that I should be looking for, or are they all pretty comparable?

I ask because, upon comparison, the features seem similar but the prices vary considerably.

Thanks.

Z[/quote']

I know there`s a few Keen Photographers here, and a Pro, can anyone help my mate?

Cheerz :)

One thing he needs to do is check the specification carefully. Many 10 megapixel cameras are actually 7 or 8 megapixel, with the remainder "filled in" by interpolation.

I have a 9.1 megapixel camera and the quality of the pictures is, I would say, worth the extra cash.

I've got a 10.1MP DSLR, a 5MP point and shoot, and a 2MP point and shoot on my phone. One of my best shots is taken with my phone ;)

Yes there are differences between the cheaper ones and more expensive ones but these are normally things such as the optical zoom of the lens. I've heard alot of good things about the lumix cameras. How much are you looking to spend? What do you want it for? Do you want any special features like continuous shooting, (which is something my old point and shoot didn't have but I really really like)?

My digital camera is 5.0 and takes really good pics, I'm not a pro on this subject but use mine often. if you have the money its worth going for a high Megapixel camera. Make sure they come with all your USB cords and everything.

Another thing is get rechargeable batteries and the recharge thing for them and a decent memory chip, as most of the internal memories aren't very large(its a pain to always have to upload!)

My digital camera is 5.0 and takes really good pics, I'm not a pro on this subject but use mine often. if you have the money its worth going for a high Megapixel camera. Make sure they come with all your USB cords and everything.

Another thing is get rechargeable batteries and the recharge thing for them and a decent memory chip, as most of the internal memories aren't very large(its a pain to always have to upload!)

I would add that once you get above 5MP the optics become very important as well. Above about 8MP the optics are probably more important.