Sex for Fun

MishMish

I agree with what several others have said, being: sex is pleasurable in order to encourage animals to seek out sex and thus successfully reproduce, and because sex is pleasurable some animals began to seek it out even outside of situations where reproduction is actually possible.

I would like to add that sexual behavior can actually serve an adaptive function outside of reproduction, and bonobos, as someone else also mentioned, are a good example of that. They have elaborate sexual behavior - all possible combinations of sexes, all the forms of sexual behavior that are practiced by humans. Even infants and juveniles with each other, and adults with infants and juveniles. Each bout only lasts about 5 - 10 seconds, so for them it's more like a handshake or a hug. They use it to cement their social bonds with each other, to reconcile after a fight, to comfort another if they're upset, to form alliances with each other. Being able to do these things has adaptive value - so it's not simply for pleasure and pleasure alone, but the fact that it's pleasurable allows them to use it for adaptive functions outside of reproduction.

Prostitution or maybe other practices (exchange). But imagine you try to avoid prostitution, that break couples, by making unsatisfied wishes of your partner, then this could lead to disgust and separation too. So, in fact, there is no other way than accept the situation as it is, it seems.

So sex is nature's way of tricking a species into reproducing.

Instead of "I have a desire to have offspring" it's more a case of "I have a desire to have sex" and then oh look, offspring happen as a side-effect.

Sex is shame, because linked to secret and pain. This is what makes the thing interesting, due to competition too.

Do you think the "brave new world" could be a goal for humanity ? : sterilize human at birth, so that reproduction becomes medically controlled, and even make genitalias-less people in order to have "real-worker" that do not always think about the "thing" (like social insect colonies casts) ?

Edited by kleinwolf

Do you think the "brave new world" could be a goal for humanity ? : sterilize human at birth, so that reproduction becomes medically controlled, and even make genitalias-less people in order to have "real-worker" that do not always think about the "thing" (like social insect colonies casts) ?

Why would a "real-worker" be desired? Sounds like a desire of a "production oriented" view, which is just one more obsession brought about by genetic quirks that aided survival. You would literally be preventing a new human from ever having certain choices open, all because of one of your own drives that is no less "pure" than any other pursuit. (Not you personally, I mean the society that would do such a thing.)

It may be just a genetic survival quirk that I enjoy spending time in nature or appreciate music and art, but does that mean I should enjoy it less or find it less rewarding? In short, you can't say sex is a "distraction" without realizing all of the stuff it "distracts from" are equally distractions. The fun part is we get to freely miss and match and make choices for ourselves, so I think the "brave new world" or genderless thing is out of the question in my mind.

Well, human is not organized like insect societies, we all have the chance to access to the battle for reproduction, but in some cases, it's obvious that some humans never will be able to reproduce or, more severely, be authorized to reproduce.

This discussion carries a bunch of ideas that must be analyzed deeper.

1. Is having sex for fun wrong?

2. Doesn't straight couples make sex for fun?

There are many religious concerns involved, but in my opinion, the discussion wasn't supposed to have as main group homosexuals, of course they can't have kids, but it's obvious that most of the straight couples have sex for fun.

• 1 month later...

It's not just for fun, it's an exercise too, to try having intercourse, better than self-satisfaction, because looking the world outside and other people.

But, in our society everything has to be reachable in the smallest amount of time, and time is money, this is a sad-end

a world of individuals, relationships are always more seldom.

Ok to add some fire to this discussion: there have been many observations of interspecies sex. The ones I remember are male dolphins raping about everything with a slit, whether it being female dolphins or sharks for example, or a chimpansee (iirc) having oral sex with a toad.

r a chimpansee (iirc) having oral sex with a toad.

a toad ? This is maybe hallucinogen toads, having mucilaginous stuff on their back ?

I heard that aids maybe come from inter-species between human and monkeys.

Edited by kleinwolf

• 4 months later...