Sex for Fun

MishMish

In the should homosexual marriages be banned thread question of sex for fun in other critters came up, someone mentioned dolphins, I added bonobos

Not sure why I did though, specifically not sure why should be necessary to single out some critters as engaging in sex for fun and not others

Aside from questions of how to determine purpose in non-verbal critters, though think can be inferred at times, real question is if is assumed other critters are not having sex for fun, then what is the presumed "reason"

To assume they have connected sex to reproduction is silly.

In part, comes down to a question of is sex fun or is lack of sex not fun, but either way am not sure what the presumed "reason" for sex is if sex for fun is taken as limited to certain species and not others

• 2 years later...

the whole 'sex for fun' in animals is that they are having sex for reasons other than reproduction. i mean if a male has sex with a pregnant female, its obviously not going to lead to an offspring(asides the one already their) or anal sex among animals (i think the bonobos do that).

I think the answer is that animals aren't doing it because they are thinking they need to reproduce. They are doing it because they get a pleasure response from it (e.g. chemical reinforcement). So yes I think animals have sex or at least the males of most species force themselves on the females because it makes them feel good. The reproduction just happens to be the result. Evolutionarily speaking, nature had to make sex pleasurable to make sure species would try to reproduce. Those individuals of a species without a strong sex drive (e.g. didn't find it pleasurable) weren't as likely to pass on their genes.

i mean if a male has sex with a pregnant female, its obviously not going to lead to an offspring(asides the one already their)
unless you're a kangaroo :D

I think you are thinking of human females.
Prostitution is older than anyone ever guessed (and started out a bit more furry) :P

The desire for sex is not only determined by horomonal cycles, but also the biological based feelings of pleasure associated with sex can be described by the same neuronal circuitry that can compel us to seek out foods we like (such as chocolate) as well as to uncontrolably consume harmful quantities of alcohol, or drugs.

Yes, folks the pleasure of sex is, in part, hardwired (albiet subject to control by multiple mechanism which you can discuss) into the neurocircuitry of us mammals.

In particular I'm refering to my circuitry of expertise (as well as my favorite),the mesolimibic and mesocortical projections of midbrain dopaminergic neurons!

Totally off-topic but I couldn't resist:

The normal ratio of Views to Replies is between 7:1 and 8:1. This thread, due to it's title, has a ratio of 126:1. Sex *is* fun!

Or there's just a lot of voyeurs out there. ;)

i agree with KLB, but i'd take it even further, if sex wasnt chemically pleasurable, the stupid little critters in particular wouldnt be "trained" to reproduce, but take lions for example, i heard it takes about 16-24 hrs to mate, they simply wouldnt do it if there wasnt pleasure involved.

If I was to try to rationalize it (ie, make guesses with no hard facts in the matter) I would say that evolutionary wise, it is the chemical reward of pleasure that makes animals reproduce, but a secondary factor may have evolved in some species where, when it is unsuitable to breed, it was easier to evolve in a manner that non-reproductive sex started, instead of a distaste for sex durning unsuitable-breeding times.

Many animals will eat until they float upside down dead, and many animals will breed until they starve themselves off.

The ability to choose when to expend the resources to raise offspring would be an evolutionary benefit, so I suspect recreational sex is a cheaper emergent process via evolution than reversing the sex drive would be.

speaking of mating to death, there is a species of mouse that die from exhaustion while mating.

heres a bit of relevant information which i have no use for:

there was an experiment where a rat was given a direct stimulus to it's pleasure centre and a button controling it.

it ended up pressing the button in favour of eating and subsequently died of starvation.

I believe it is more complex. There are species that reproduce uncontrollably, like alot of prey animals, but there are also species that keep it low, like the hunting animals. I think some go into homosexuality when there is alot of offspring, but i'm really not sure about this. Please, correct me should i err.

• 2 years later...

Do you think prostitution could comes from unsatisfied sexual life of couples ?

BTW, if the sex ratio locally is not 1:1 (number(female)=number(male)), how is this solved :

a) if f>m=>polygyny

b) m>f polyandry

or singles ?

Totally off-topic but I couldn't resist:

The normal ratio of Views to Replies is between 7:1 and 8:1. This thread, due to it's title, has a ratio of 126:1. Sex *is* fun!

Or there's just a lot of voyeurs out there. ;)

Bravo...titles like this one do catch attention...;)