Making bonds releases energy?

popjinx

Um, I am still confused. However, thank you for the reply : )

So, they release heat, because now they move around together instead of independantly? Can you put this in terms of a metaphor that I can relate to?

No they don't release "heat", heat is the name given to an energy transphere. They release energy. Metaphors are difficult when discussing this kind of thing as it's so far away from our every day experiences. Basically you have an atom, let's take hydrogen.

1 electron around 1 proton.

This configuration have an energy value associated with it. If we put two hydrogen atoms together, we get:

2 electrons orbiting 1 proton and another proton.

This happens because it is a lower energy state. These combined states has a lower total energy associated than the two separate ones, this energy needs to go somewhere so is released.

Most things seem to when you get right down to it just be a tendency of stuff to move towards the low energy state, balls roll down hill, not up...

Apologies about the dodgy science in this post, but I think trying to convey simpler ideas than going into the qm might be better here...

Does this metaphor explain it???

When two atoms come together it is like two magnets coming together. Holding the two magnets just a little bit a part takes energy, because they are really attracted to one another. Then when they come together they release energy, which is in the form of sound (a snap). The reason they release this energy is because now, they don't need the extra energy they used to stay apart.