Linux Patents

herme3

I was reading an interesting article at http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/index.htm that says Microsoft claims Linux and other free software programs are violating its patents. If it can, Microsoft may be planning to demand royalties from Linux users and distributors.

The Linux kernel - the deepest layer of the free operating system, which interacts most directly with the computer hardware - violates 42 Microsoft patents. The Linux graphical user interfaces - essentially, the way design elements like menus and toolbars are set up - run afoul of another 65, he claims. The Open Office suite of programs, which is analogous to Microsoft Office, infringes 45 more. E-mail programs infringe 15, while other assorted FOSS programs allegedly transgress 68.

I wonder how this could affect the prices to host web sites on Linux servers? Also, isn't Apple's Mac OS probably violating many of the same patents as Linux?

hmm, so linux itself only violates 42 'patents'.

it won't affect webhosting prices till microsoft prove that it violates patents and if MS does that then the software will be changed so it doesn't violate anything. so i'm going to go with, no. this won't affect webhosting fees.

I was reading an interesting article at http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/index.htm that says Microsoft claims Linux and other free software programs are violating its patents. If it can, Microsoft may be planning to demand royalties from Linux users and distributors.

I wonder how this could affect the prices to host web sites on Linux servers? Also, isn't Apple's Mac OS probably violating many of the same patents as Linux?

A good example of why software patents are a retarded idea and why when they keep popping up in Europe, we keep knocking them down (although I hate how large corporations can just keep bringing up the same crap, trying to get it through when no-one is looking).

Also,

a) they've said they won't - http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

b) It would be horrific publicity (although not a patent issue, look at SCO etc)

c) If they lost, it would be rather damaging to their patent portfolio (remember patents can be thrown out of court if prior art is found or if the patented concept is found to be too obvious (although this is difficult to judge especially as so many concepts in these areas have been popularised now))

d) Lots of linux companies (Canonical/Ubuntu being one) aren't based in the US, and so I highly doubt they can be sued for anything although people who use them such as Dell might

I agree, its hard to prove that there has been a stealing of ideas.

So many people out there are capable of creating and using different development concepts that its hard to prove that anything has been coppied from MS. More likely it just happens to be the best way of implimenting it

Windows has copied more from Linux and open source then is true the other way around -- just look at Vista for an example.

There is no one person to sue though -- you can't just sue "Linux" and Linux can't sue back (especially considering they don't have patents in the first place). Apple on the other hand probably holds just as many claims against Microsoft as Linux does and they can sure.