2nd Bachelors or Postbac/Masters

ck_engineer

Hello,

I graduated from UC Berkeley several years ago with a degree in biology with a good GPA (3.98/4.00) though with very few math classes.

I'm now interested in studying either computer science or computer engineering to conduct applied research in AI.

I have two main options:

1) Pursue a 2nd bachelor's degree at Berkeley (top 3 program)

2) Pursue a postbac/masters at a less competitive university

Looking online, I've found that Brandeis and Boston University both offer a combined postbac/masters program in CS or computer engineering that I could probably complete in 3-4 years. My only fear is that this route will make me less competitive for PhD programs once I'm out. They include no required work in physics. The 2nd bachelor's would also require about 3 years but I'd have to take a huge number of diverse classes in physics/cs/math in comparison.

My ultimate goal is to received a PhD in computer science or engineering with an emphasis in robotics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. My dream grad programs are at CMU and GeorgiaTech. I'm currently on the East Coast but am still classified as a California resident.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give!

Thanks much!

My brother is actually in a similar situation. Though he got an aeronautical physics degree and now he wants a Mech engineering degree. His university (actually, the same as mine) arranged an abbreviated bachelors program for him so he doesn't have to repeat courses he already has taken, and he doesn't need the other (BS) courses that uni's make you take, in order to have a 'diversified education.' Talk to the head of departments at your university, and see if something like this could be available for you.

Hello,

I graduated from UC Berkeley several years ago with a degree in biology with a good GPA (3.98/4.00) though with very few math classes.

I'm now interested in studying either computer science or computer engineering to conduct applied research in AI.

I have two main options:

1) Pursue a 2nd bachelor's degree at Berkeley (top 3 program)

2) Pursue a postbac/masters at a less competitive university

Looking online, I've found that Brandeis and Boston University both offer a combined postbac/masters program in CS or computer engineering that I could probably complete in 3-4 years. My only fear is that this route will make me less competitive for PhD programs once I'm out. They include no required work in physics. The 2nd bachelor's would also require about 3 years but I'd have to take a huge number of diverse classes in physics/cs/math in comparison.

My ultimate goal is to received a PhD in computer science or engineering with an emphasis in robotics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. My dream grad programs are at CMU and GeorgiaTech. I'm currently on the East Coast but am still classified as a California resident.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give!

Thanks much!

I would think MIT right off the bat for what you are interested in, but I don’t know for sure. Have you studied the field itself in regards to employment and what they the employers typically look for. If its a more self motivated issue, then I would think any university with a robotics or strong computer science program would be sufficient as long as you knew well ahead that what you desire to work on would be open as an option there at the university, such as funding and tools to work on robotics/AI for instance. Moreover I am sure more then one university has a robotics/AI club for instance funded by the university.