Chlorine Bomb

encipher

No, despite the title, this isn't a kewl post :D

Last friday, at the local highschool where I live, a less than intelligent high school senior decided to make an infamous chlorine bomb, and leave it in the boy's bathroom. A teacher came in, saw an OPEN bottle and a horrible smell, picked it up (it was hot) and WOOSH, was engulfed in nasty fumes. He was taken to the hospital and treated.

The suspect was apprehended by the police and it was found that he had mixed alcohol and chlorine pellets.

My question is this:

Why was there a big and sudden expulsion of gases when the container was picked up. Is it shock sensitive?

and how does the reaction proceed? Does it produce alkyl chloride? or simply CO2 gas? if so, was it the fact that CO2 gas carried the hypochlorite with it that caused the irritation to the lungs etc..

Thanks

seems like physics forums had a similar question...

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75245

Looking through that thread, I think most of the people who posted on that thread there should stick with physics... =)

Anyways,

It doesn't answer my question of whether or not the reaction is shock sensitive, I mean I've seen millions of videos online of teens putting that stuff in coke bottles and blowing chunks of their hands off.. but would it simply go off merely by handling a container with the reactants?