AMD and 64-Bit CPUs

Guest Syntax

For the past years people have been seeing 64-bit processors coming to life for servers, and for some workstations.

To shorten this ALOT, let me throw some quotes in from the article.

"The move to 64 bits won't be like previous upgrades, where the chipmakers bent over backwards to ensure compatibility with older hardware and software. Intel's 64-bit CPU, called Itanium, is an entirely new chip that has no compatibility with the x86 line of chips that carried it from the 8086 chip in 1981 to the Pentium IV. It's designed only for high-end servers, and Intel (INTC) has no plans as yet to bring 64-bit computing to the masses"

"AMD (AMD), on the other hand, has a 64-bit chip called Opteron, due early next year, and it will be completely backwards compatible with the Athlon line, which is x86-compatible to begin with. Opteron will be in servers, desktops and laptops."

Sorry for the plagerism (I hope I spelled that right), but I didn't have much time to write the post, so I will just throw in the link to the article.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,53998,00.html

He started a thread with no Question for discussion.......but for the end user ... 64 bit computing is basically twice as fist as they have now.......currently they have 32 bit computing which has to do with file size and format...... but it will also mean the operating system it runs in will have alot more overhead......and until they come up with a motherboard that will Handle the full capabilities....like intel is doing versus AMD using it now......the end user will only expierience slight speed increases......I understand what both parties are doing here....AMD is going to give the instant gratification while Intel invests in the future.....to put it simply......there are only so many improvments you can make to a house....before you need to build a new one.....a 64 bit processor isn't going to have the effect it is capable of unless it has an enviorment built especialy to handle it.......they've already theorized and started drawing out 128 and 256 bit processors....so if you have a top of the line now....wait for the 128 to come out.....if you have an older machine now.....get get the 64 and then wait for the 256.....in either case it is going to make things more difficult in the ways of software development....soon enough the lowest standards will become high enough to force an upgrade......and software will require certain processor capabilities to run efficiantly.........

if that makes any sence to anyone.......

• 1 month later...

AMD's 64-Bit processor will have a motherboard, and isn't developed only for the corporate market, also the home users, which is where they plan to take the advantage on Intel, which doesn't have any plans of even marketting the Itanium for the home users, and isn't compadible with 32-bit processing without emulation. On the other hand, AMD doesn't require emulation as this is all stated in my fist post. The argument is, which will win the marketting battle, AMD or Intel?

Having windows on a 64-Bit system is not only stupid, it's useless. There are plenty of very fast 32-bit processors, and beside the fact that Windows XP runs beautifully and lag free on minimum system requirements (266MHz/128MB RAM).. Just playing around I got it to run on my laptop which has 92MB RAM and is 200MHz.. It ran alright, except I had to keep the classic interface on.

So I see no reason why anyone would want a 64-bit system running windows, unless you were rich, and just wanting the bragging rights

:zzz:

Do you guys get all those free elect. eng. magazines with the latest products? If you work for a company that buys chips they put you on their list if you give them your name. At least they did in the '80s. It was a nice line to the top of the line.

Just aman